MEGATHREAD: Free Share updates and feedback šŸŽŸ

I had a number of referrals queued to my account. Does each referral have the same url or do you need to wait for one to become complete before the next becomes active?

Secondly, I had used a referral with someone and it showed in the app that the first stage had been complete. When I check again, this has now disappeared to just the invite page. This invite that appears here has the same url as the one that had just been used, so is this one still invalid?

They each have their own URL.

That sounds strange so itā€™d be good to look into it, could you please message us via the in-app chat?

Did people get new referral links today? I didnā€™tā€¦

Hi all,

I have just got a 2nd person to sign up. And I have received the notification saying youā€™ve earned a free share. When I check in app I only have the one from last week. Is this normal and when will it update to 2? Also how many can I send and how often? I seen some one say itā€™s once a week?!
And how will it distinguishe the first up to Ā£80 and 2nd up to Ā£200?

Sorry if this has been discussed

Paul

I had something similar but after a short wait the next queued mystery share showed up so expect yours will show up shortly - otherwise maybe raise message in app for them to chase up on whatā€™s happeningā€¦ Also all referrals will be Ā£3 - Ā£200 now including earlier referrals!

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Share your referral links here :link:

The app has cleared my old referral progress box and given me a new link, but as far as I can tell Iā€™ve not been given a free share yet. The person I referred assures me they have topped up. Is there normally a delay between the person referred topping up and the original referrer getting notified to this? Or has something gone screwy?

3 Likes

I also appear to have had this issue

Personally frustrated with the incentivised free share. I grabbed the link from the app and shared into one of my work groups.

It didnā€™t state anywhere that I should/could only share this directly with one person, or it would break.

It turns out multiple people used the same referral link to create an account, and the one that actually topped up and I thought I was going to be getting a free share from wasnā€™t the ā€˜firstā€™ person to click the link and use the code.

I was able to provide the name and email for my colleague that did use the link/my code and topped up correctly but turns out that wonā€™t enable me to get the share from it.

I spoke to chat and there wasnā€™t much help provided.

So essentially Freetradeā€™s referral system, yes I realise it is a beta feature, doesnā€™t know how to handle multiple signups from the same referral link. So you canā€™t share it publicly say on Twitter or anywhere where multiple people might click it - because it just messes up.

So now I have to try convince someone else about Freetrade, and to me thatā€™s not simple to tell someone here use this app to make investments not what you are currently using or hey you should start investing (scary), use this app.

4 Likes

I concurā€¦ Iā€™ve had a few links break when people have signed up

Understand your frustration. However, itā€™s been made quite clear that the fully-functioning incentivised scheme has not been rolled out yet and that the current link (or links) are for test puproses only and one-use only.

Iā€™d love to share the link on Twitter or send it out to multiple contacts but instead, Iā€™ve had to be selective in sending it to one person at a time.

Hopefully youā€™ll be able to persuade more people to sign up - their risk is only Ā£1.

3 Likes

While I do agree that having a link that enables multiple sign ups is very efficient and flexible, at an early stage I understand the need for unique links and referring people on a 1 to 1 basisā€¦ I suppose the team want to understand the extent of risk of people coming to Freetrade and then selling the Freeshare and coming out and then make a decision about a ā€œpermanentā€ referral link. Since the scheme is in beta, I actually think this is the right approach.

1 Like

Itā€™s quite strongly called out in the copy, although Iā€™m afraid you may have seen a previous version of this feature that had less aggressive text around the invite being for one person only.

The invite being for one-time use is deliberate. For now, we donā€™t want people to blast out their invites on social media (unless you really donā€™t have anyone you can give your invite to, in which case blast away!). We want our community to spend a little time telling their friends about Freetrade and maybe even help them through the process. Our hypothesis is that when the focus is on quickly grabbing shares, the mindset is not learning about the product and valuing what it can do, which will impact user quality.

That said, we are in beta, and we are considering all the feedback weā€™re receiving. Iā€™m intrigued by how many people assume theyā€™d get a multiple-use link valid forever, which is probably how many referral links work these days.

Sorry to hear that! :frowning: Please ping again - the team can help with any further context or by resetting your referral link / providing a new one.

Thatā€™s what we are hoping everyone would do for this reward, and weā€™re seeing it working! Maybe the community can help with their tips. :pray:

10 Likes

The three people Iā€™ve referred, Iā€™ve actually sat down and fully explained the process to them, the risks involved etc. Theyā€™re all sold on using Freetrade now. I think just dropping it onto social media as an unlimited referral code youā€™d risk a lot more people signing up and cashing out. Would be fantastic for the referrer, but definitely not for Freetrade.

7 Likes

Referred someone else yesterday and sat with them. Experienced an error when it gets to the screen asking them to grab the app via the apple app store or google play. We tapped on the app store icon and got shown a page with an error (canā€™t remember exactly what it was sorry).

Otherwise all good.

Also a clarification question - in the info here: We'll start testing incentivised referrals (free shares!) within weeks šŸ‘Æ it says:

• Your referred friend needs to be active, i.e. they funded their account and bought a stock, for you both to get a free share.

Is the ā€˜bought a stockā€™ part still valid?

If so it is not mentioned at all in any of the copy or the process and indeed the free share gets credited after top up, rather than after they have used that top up to actually buy something in the app.

1 Like

I completely agree, but I can see the frustrations with referring more than one person (indeed even being able to give FT their names and email addresses) and not earning a free share for these referrals. Referral schemes will unfortunately always be open to abuse but instances such as these should be considered on a case by case basis

Any chance for further referrals or not yet? :smiley:

No they only need to have topped up. Iā€™ve updated that now :raised_hands:

2 Likes

:smiley: We just sent out new invites yesterday! Have you received one?

1 Like

I donā€™t think soā€¦ I have the little notification icon but when I click through there isnā€™t a referral there image