Introducing annual subscriptions and pricing changes

Tbh i have the Sipp and isa. so if we could have a jisa and a working website i donā€™t think most of us would complain about this. i keep on seeing suggestions about employer contributions but how many companies actually support this as mine doesnā€™t

3 Likes

If this was communicated to customers along with increase notification

chief executive Adam Dodds said the environment had changed.

ā€˜When you spoke to us [in 2021], it was before we had revamped our plans. I donā€™t think the interest rate environment was the same as what it is now,ā€™ he said.

'It seems pretty reasonable in todayā€™s environment that you would see a bit of a increase in this plan.

'And then we give an option to our customers to maintain their current rate if they donā€™t mind paying upfront, because that gives us obviously more certainty as a business around the revenue so itā€™s a bit of a win-win that way.

2 Likes

Another quick pointā€¦ how many people just re-invest their dividends every month/quarter without a thought? Then look at how much it would cost you on a platform like HL or ii. My experience of ii suggests that instead of 5 or 6 re investments a month, Iā€™d have to save them all up and do 1 to minimise the Ā£7.99 per trade fee. If not, Feb would have cost me Ā£31.96 in reinvestment costs on dividends of 56 quid in total on 4 div reinvests. So instead of putting 56 back Iā€™d have reinvested less than half!

5 Likes

Just to add some detail.

dividend reinvestment on ii and HL are lower cost, though not free (though should be noted that there is no automatic dividend reinvestment option with free trade :eyes: )

ii costs Ā£0.99 and HL its Ā£1 minimum or 1% of the transaction up to Ā£10
In the case of ii I believe this can be taken out of your monthly ā€˜free tradeā€™ money.

2 Likes

A really good option that would reduce peoples anger would be FT satisfying loads by offering the fee being paid inside ISA or SIPP. Many will prefer this as it is a hidden charge. I hate subscriptions and know many others will, so taken out of your pot is much better and cleaner for a bank statement.

This would also be good for long term customers who may struggle every month to pay but get them in the system and they may end up being very loyal big customers in the years to come.

For me, I like the yearly option and will go down that road whilst at FT but there are soooo many people over the last year or so that are really stretched and this will feel worse than it maybe is. Going to paying inside the ISA/SIPP would be a great option and I believe hugely beneficial long term.

If it was an additional option they could still use the old metric to compare to other companies as that is a clever trick they use to make the return look even better with FT.

3 Likes

For sure freetrade is still cheap where else are you getting a sipp and isa for this price. All we need is a bit more communication

6 Likes

Has that changed recently? Because about 18 months ago when I switched here, it was costing me 7.99 a trade to reinvest dividends or my free monthly trade that came with the 9.99 subscription

Agreed. Show us the carrot! :carrot:

I think that employer contributions are probably more useful for the self-employed than the employed.

ps Welcome to the community

1 Like

dividend reinvestment is an automatic reinvestment option. if youā€™re manually reinvesting dividends then itā€™ll cost you the full price. the full details are here https://www.ii.co.uk/investing-with-ii/dividend-reinvestment

Exactly carnt think of one company that would do this

The automated options are by far the cheapest way to use HL. Commission on regular savings is pretty cheap as well. with the disadvantage being that you donā€™t control when the trade is made. I used to set up a regular savings option for the share I wanted to buy, and change it to something else the following month rather than doing manual trades

Article refers to changes coming into effect on 11th April.

Took the plunge and downgraded from Plus to Standard; removed 4k cash and placed in Chase account. Potential Ā£2 hike now a Ā£4 saving.
May reverse my decision if the JISA is added to Plus, but with no foreign shares and no Sipp, I donā€™t see the need for Plus.

1 Like

ā€œYes I saw that article as well, interesting and the comments are now starting to trickle in, a basic unease about solvency has been voiced by at least two of them, my biggest worry now.ā€

Thatā€™s fair enough, but remember that the grass isnā€™t necessarily greener on the other side.

2008? Lehman Brothers? Banks ā€œtoo big to failā€?

Not a defence of Freetrade, as I, along with most if not all on here, have no real idea of their financial position. Just a helpfully meant reminder to the forum.

:+1:

3 Likes

I assume you need to sell because 212 doesnā€™t accept transfers in-specie in or out of their platform?

However even if you could transfer I donā€™t think Russian assets can be moved at all never mind sold.

On the off chance it can be transferred youā€™ll obviously need to go to a broker that supports in-specie transfers rather than 212

Maybe Freetrade could wave the fee due to the circumstances, but Iā€™m not aware of any reason that they have to

I guess you could close your ISA accountā€¦ not sure what would happen then with an assets thatā€™s frozen :sweat_smile:

Oh Iā€™ll definitely be closing the account. Hopefully some solution can be found without any animosity as I do not intend to pay Ā£5.99 in perpetuity due to a sanctioned stock. They did transfer the remnants of the Eastern European ETF from the ISA to the GIA previously so it does seem like it can be done.

Itā€™s grand, I sold up and moved my ISA over the summer. They moved my Evraz shares into my GIA so I have it sitting there and closed up my Freetrade ISA.

1 Like

Oh I wonder if thatā€™s a solution. Youā€™re just moving wrapper then, so does it count as a ā€˜transferā€™, Iā€™d hope not. Hopefully thatā€™s a solution they can provide

I think youā€™re right about communication. The internet has spread a lot of ideas about being sold or issues with insolvency because theyā€™ve been tightening up finances. But at the moment tightening up a companies finances is just prudent, and looking at a potential sale isnā€™t necessarily a bad thing either. My company has been doing the same and weā€™re not going bankrupt. But without some continued communications around this kind of stuff, people often hear only the rumours.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s reassuring thank you.

I see my posts are being hidden now. Glad for confirmation that Iā€™m doing the right thing!

Annoyingly the way discourse works some forum users can hide posts by flagging them, or if more than one flags it it can get hidden automatically.

Hopefully itā€™s unbidden I donā€™t see anything wrong with anything you said. You can also edit and itā€™ll repost. Iā€™ve had it happen to me in the past

3 Likes