Is anyone else following the Citron short seller vs WallStreetBets chaos?

Here was me hoping/thinking the FT forums would be less full of conspiracy theories than t212ā€™s forum!

The simpler explanation than manipulation or stock lending issues (which t212 could massively profit from) is that their systems just fall over under pressure as happened yesterday massively (and has happened a fair bit on US market open for the last few weeks albeit only briefly and with much less impact).

3 Likes

Good point, very interesting.

And I may be in the minority here but I like the slower pace of FT as it gives me time to (re)consider my approach.
Not having an instant deposit means I think about what Iā€™m doing, and am less inclined to trade than to research properly and invest with a long term view.
Thanks for taking time to respond!

7 Likes

Highly likely regulators are looking now, Iā€™d be nervous if I was T212. Freetrade for sure has gained a massive amount of goodwill today.

8 Likes

I teach 18 year olds (remotely) and they kept posting the gme stock into Teams and saying stonks, had to tell them off (and to hold). This is everywhere!

13 Likes

All those 18 year olds are now making fun of you for mispronouncing hodl :frowning:

4 Likes

HODL!

Donā€™t you get it? Itā€™s not about the money. Itā€™s a statement. Anybody who invested money they couldnā€™t afford to lose is a maniac, the rest of us are revolutionists

2 Likes

I hope youā€™re having a laugh

1 Like

What a bonkers place the world has become over lockdown :rofl:

Username checks out though!

5 Likes

Does it feel good to judge others?

2 Likes

Cheers Morty. My regards to Rick

2 Likes

Iā€™ll pass it on - and all the best with GME!

2 Likes

So you do think youā€™re a revolutionist? It isnā€™t very revolutionary buying some shares.

1 Like

Turn on the news channel of your choice

2 Likes

A hedge fund losing some money seems like a low bar for a revolution

4 Likes

More than one, and some of them are massive Hedge Funds - up there with the biggest in the world.

Then thereā€™s the banks and the brokers when the hedge funds arenā€™t able to cover their short positions!

The fact that the hedge funds keep shorting GME over and over is shameful. Theyā€™re literally gambling with their clientsā€™, their brokersā€™ and their banksā€™ money.

5 Likes

I think weā€™d all happily dust off our guillotines but this is a more civil way of doing it I believe.

3 Likes

Admittedly it has been a pretty bruising week for some of these hedge funds but it looks as though theyā€™ll essentially just keep going as normal. I think if anything really comes out of this itā€™ll be more regulations or transparency about shorting.

Although having said that, cutting off retail investors from certain stocks could have some more dramatic consequences for robinhood and other brokerages. But unless hedge funds were directly involved in that then I think theyā€™ll be fairly unaffected long term.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know who flagged your post but forum rule number 1 is to treat each other fairly and with respect. This isnt the playground.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Iā€™d be curious to know if thatā€™s about the original shorting or todayā€™s retail investor limits

1 Like