ISA transfers are here šŸšš

Yes i believe you can tranfer isas that are currently subscribed too this year to a new provider, just donā€™t open a new one, allow Freetrade to make the tranfer.

1 Like

Sounds good, letā€™s do this! I will be thrilled to not ever look again HSBCā€™s clunky wealth management website (which doesnā€™t even have an app version)

1 Like

Yep a transfer is allowed within the same tax year you opened the ISA.

2 Likes

So reading through this, am I right to assume that if I was to move over my Wealthify/Nutmeg ISA portfolios, I would have to have basically cashed them in first, otherwise they wouldnt migrate?

Thereā€™s very limited cross-over of stock universe between Freetrade and Wealthify so essentially, yes.

A few assets look to be on both platforms but itā€™s barely worth it. For example if you held iShares UK Dividend (IUKD) you could move it in specie but youā€™d have to sell most of your other funds before transferring.

A lot of Wealthify assets are Unit Trust/OEICs that Freetrade isnā€™t offering. If some of your holdings are exchange traded you may get lucky if they add them to the universe in the coming weeks.

This is a good option to see, itā€™s not worth it for me yet to have an isa with Freetrade but it will be a consideration once it is.

By the sounds of the wording you also support transfers out of Freetrade?

1 Like

From the point we receive your transfer form, it is approximately 15 working days for cash ISAs, and 30 for stocks and shares :+1:

Can I transfer the past allowance of an ISA I held with HL to FT?
I sold everything in the HL ISA account a while ago and opened a new ISA with FT for 2019-20.
Would the transfer allow me to get the allowance for e.g. 2017-2019 I held on HL moved to FT? This would allow me to invest more in the tax-free wrapper.
The HL account is currently empty but I assumed the allowances could be transferred?

No, If youā€™ve taken the money out of the ISA the allowance is gone

1 Like

I think a lot of ISA providers became ā€œflexibleā€ ISAs in approx. 2016.
So some (not all) providers would allow you to put back your withdrawal in the same year only.

But by GMā€™s wording I assume their ISA allowance is gone

Thanks Dave and finki! It looks like itā€™s gone indeed :slight_smile: as expectedā€¦

Iā€™ve been paying in to an old S&S ISA in this tax year. If I transfer it over to Freetrade am I able to pay into this new Freetrade ISA in the same tax year? I know there are rules around this but Iā€™m unclear on procedure.

Also would I be able to merge my Freetrade general account portfolio into my new ISA.

No on the first question, unfortunately. On the second, I think you need to sell up, transfer the funds and then buy again inside the ISA, unless something has changed from before.

Annoying on both fronts but thanks for the response!

Possibly Too Much Information, but what you can do (usually) is limit the spread of the sell from the GIA to the ISA as itā€™s a zero risk trade for the market makers. Youā€™re performing what is weirdly known as a ā€œBed and ISAā€ - simply a GIA to ISA transfer but facilitated via a Sell and Buy in order to generate the correct tax liability (if any) in your GIA and to account for your ISA allowance on the inward leg.

If you call up (argh! Voice Trade - they donā€™t happen anymore) the market maker will often reduce the spread to virtually zero for you as thereā€™s no risk to their position.

Pointless in the case of a highly liquid stock and youā€™re transferring a small position. Essential if youā€™re moving an illiquid stock with a wide spread.

Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s right. You should be able to transfer an ISA youā€™ve been paying into this tax year to FT and then pay into the new FT ISA.

The only criteria is that you transfer the full ISA value of the old ISA you were paying into. If you are transferring an old ISA but havenā€™t paid into it in this tax year, you are able to do a partial transfer.

And of course, you canā€™t go over the Ā£20k deposit per tax year so if youā€™ve already deposited Ā£10k in the old one, you can only depost Ā£10k more.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll wait until the next tax year and just sell and buy again straight away under the ISA wrapper. Problem is that transferring my existing ISA means being out of the market for 4 weeks cause Iā€™m not paying AJ Bells transfer fees for funds.

Youā€™ll probably find those transfer times quoted a pure estimates and in reality will be shorter. There is no need for that transfer time. Once you lodge your request from the ceding broker Freetrade can phone them and arrange trade and settlement immediately if necessary. The ā€œproblemā€ will be AJBell having no incentive to facilitate a fast transfer to lose your business. The FCA has been banging on about transfer times for years now but no tangible regulations to hold anyone to account. Itā€™s essentially a best endeavours operation with only ā€œname and shameā€ transfer times league tables proving any incentive for brokers to facilitate transfers-out. Lots of technology exists to speed things up but they are really just expensive diary and messaging systems that could be made by anyone with a little coding knowledge. Freetrade can surely build something better inhouse to facilitate faster transfer times. Failing that throw operations people at it in the short term. I did a same day transfer between sizeable brokers only recently. I few FIX messages and API calls and a Registrar that has their house in order and ā€¦ bingo, same day.

Nobody wants to be out of the market for 4 weeks waiting for a transfer.

Yep you can! A transfer moves the old ISA and its contribution over, so that previous contribution is now considered to be against your new ISA and you can put in more.

1 Like

Thanks Iā€™ll explore doing that then. Flipping annoying that this isnā€™t made explicit in ISA rules. It reads as if you canā€™t do that. :slight_smile: