Joint accounts

Firstly, may I say how delighted i am with many aspects of the Freetrade community.
But … (there’s always at least one, isn’t there?!)

A request I made some time ago was the possible creation of joint accounts for those members:
i. who have spouses who expect financial parity, and/or perhaps
ii. potential tax implications, where a divided income may reduce the tax burden.
These circumstances may well apply to many of the present users, if not now then at least potentially in the future! How do other users feel?

And a question for the Admins, if I may:
Are there presently difficulties with providing joint accounts either from administrative, legal or technical viewpoints?

It’s great to hear that you’re liking the community :grinning:

When it comes to providing joint accounts, we’d need to choose to make this a priority (we have to be quite selective at the moment, as we’re still a fairly small team) & get them set up. So lets see how many votes this idea gets :eyes:

I prefer the idea of linked accounts, as this can cover joint, spouses, children etc. Joint accounts is really a special case of shared accounts IMO, at least when it comes to investment.

Many types of investment account are not allowed to be joint and must be in one name - ISA, SIPP, Children’s ISA.

HL does this very well, but don’t technically have joint accounts, you can just allow others access.

2 Likes