[Feature Request 🔧] Lifetime ISA (LISA) 👶🏻👵🏾

If you’re going to use such foul, disgusting and abohorent language on this board then please censor it so that the rest of us don’t have to read it.

Potty mouth.

10 Likes

Any chance of Freetrade introducing a S&S Lifetime ISA for this tax year? I would be keen to transfer my cash ISA over to Freetrade rather than AJ Bell or H&L…

3 Likes

Just begrudgingly topped up my AJ Bellend LISA :pensive:

4 Likes

+1 to Lifetime ISA from me.

Have held one across 5 tax years with HL - I’m self-employed, already a home-owner, so this is being used as an extra pension pot. The fund is growing steadily (I am a very cautious investor only buy funds with HL as there are no dealing charges on those) - but the bigger it gets that % monthly fee is getting higher and higher. I’d be happy to be paying this to FT instead! Well, less than the HL fee, of course…

This would seem a fairly obvious product to add to the line up, it’s targeted at the right demographic surely? Perhaps the limited amount of funds makes it unattractive to FT?

3 Likes

If Freetrade could just give us a “Yes/No” on whether LISAs are coming this year then it could save me a fortune on AJ ****ing ****ing ****ing ****ing Bell’s £9.99 ****ing BUY fees and then AJ ****ing ****ing ****ing ****ing Bell’s £9.99 ****ing SELL fees when I want to rescue my savings from there and transfer it to Freetrade.

8 Likes

Not a fan then I take it :joy::joy:

Don’t forget 1% Forex fee each way on US shares :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Usually one can reduce the buy fee to 1.50 if you opt in, for one off, regular purchase which happens around the 10-12th for many shares and ETFs.

Ie. Top up however you need to top up, and then do the regular purchase.

One can repeat that when the government bonus lands too.

would 100% move my LISA over if you had LISA.

7 Likes

If anyone has been following this thread don’t forget to vote Here for this to be something to be discussed at the AMA on 12th May.

1 Like

Has there been any update on the addition of LISAs ?
Trying to convince friends to Join FT, however they’re looking for a platform which offers them :man_shrugging:

Bad news I’m afraid - @adam gave us this update recently.

3 Likes

Ah that makes sense, as much as I’d like LISAs to be available I’d much rather they prioritize anything that helps the European launches

1 Like

whats currently the best value stocks and shares lisa on the market?

I invest into Shares and ETFs only. For me AjBell You invest is the best.

But it depends how big your Lisa is, and what you want to invest into.

HL could be cheaper for some account sizes and types of things one invests into.

1 Like

My LISA is only a couple of years. I’m in a fortunate position that we are buying a house over the limit. So I just wanted to invest it in a few etfs, leave it and forget it for a while now.

I don’t plan to contribute to it anymore

I still transfer £4k from S&S ISA → LISA each year, to collect £1k bonus. It feels like I am not contributing any new money, just recycling ISA gains into LISA to collect £1k bonus. Feels a bit like passing GO in monopoly.

AjBell is okish, be careful to pick things that are priced in GBP and that accumulate / reinvest dividends. Once I didn’t realise that I bought a distribution unit type instead of accumulation one. And play around with sample portfolios / transactions to figure out how expensive it is to setup and maintain per year.

2 Likes

With new commission-free stock trading ups popping up what seems like everyday and big fintechs adding stock trading as an afterthought (e.g. Wise), one of FT’s key differentiators is its tax-advantaged accounts. ISAs and SIPPs are a great start but to really nail it LISAs and JISAs are needed.

The markets for those two accounts are criminally underserved. Any savvy young person not yet on the property ladder (which IMO is most of FTs target userbase) will be contributing to their LISA first and ISA second and will be forced to use stodgy incumbent brokers such as AJ Bell. I really don’t understand why it isn’t a priority to get LISAs out the door.

They involve extra ops overhead but the average LISA account will only require 1 lengthy interaction per account (sending the money to a solicitor) and I imagine the average LISA account is open for years before that happens.

11 Likes

We don’t use that kind of foul language here.

8 Likes

I’ve never really looked into a LISA as I was in the advanced stages of buying my first home when they became a thing… I’m starting to look now mind you.

S&S LISA, above all other product types out there, seems to really fit in with Freetrade’s philosophy. The low ceiling to get the maximum bonus is in reach for a greater number of people, there’s a clear carrot up front and a clear disincentive to just take the money and run for reasons other than buying a home or retiring. Stocks and Shares LISAs really don’t seem to be well marketed, I can only assume they’re unattractive to providers? Not sure if that’s cost of complexity; I don’t fully understand whether there are restrictions in what you can hold in a LISA vs an ISA?

Either way, +1 from me on this. Appreciate the news from May/June wasn’t great but the implication is that it’s potentially on the table in 2022. Here’s hoping.

4 Likes