[Feature Request 🔧] Lifetime ISA (LISA) 👶🏻👵🏾

Easy, ‘free’ money. LISAs are horrible and should be scrapped as all they do is bump up house prices, but no reason not to pass up free money. I’ll be dumping money from freetrade into my LISA as well (it’s a cash one though).

1 Like

The £1k is not risk free, like it is with ISA.

Deposit 4k and don’t invest into anything. Realise you need money back.

With ISA, you get £4k out.

With LISA, you get £3.75k out due to 25% hit off the total £5k normally.

The withdrawal fee was reduced to 20% temporarily to make cashing in LISA result in £4k back too. That was introduced due to coronavirus and is due to return back to normal on 5th of April.

Unless Rishi extends the reduced penalty again in this upcoming budget…

So LISA is a bad advice if one doesn’t plan to buy property, is not first time buyer, will buy property for above the cap, or is not planning to keep it invested until retirement.

Nonetheless for me LISA does make sense, and I do ISA transfer of £4k from old ISA into LISA each year to collect £1k bonus. (If I can!) Whilst keeping most of my ISA accessible.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/05/lifetime-isa-withdrawal-penalty-reduced-due-to-coronavirus/

What?

The whole point Alban is making is why would someone set up a FT account to save 100 in fees when they can’t set up a LISA - which gives them 1000 free a year.

People will just go to HL instead and FT miss out on that customer.

1 Like

Then this argument is completely flawed and doesn’t take into account the differences between LISAs and ISAs which have now been brought up in this thread.

I genuinely have no idea what you are on about - so let’s agree to disagree. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha fair enough.

I hope you are right and LISA will soon be on their official to-do list/backlog

1 Like

You can have a LISA in HL, and a stock / share ISA in FT :slight_smile:

This is what I have done

Does @Freetrade_Team have any plans to launch a LISA product in tax year 21/22?

Reason I ask is if not I will pay into another LISA provider in April (HL sorry) but if you are I will hold on for the FT LISA later in the year. :ok_hand:t2:

5 Likes

I wouldn’t base decisions on what ifs, you can only really go on what’s available now. You can always transfer you LISA if freetrade make one in the future and you want to switch

1 Like

It’s not a what if… if they have a plan in place, it could be a when.

I’d rather avoid the commission by waiting a few months if that’s an option thanks.

1 Like

I’ve not seen anything to suggest this. I expect you’re more likely to be waiting months for them to say they’re working on that account type for next year or further away.

I have now left the UK, but I still have my LISA with AJ Bell. Now there is the reduced penalty for withdrawal, I am wondering if it is possible to close it and move the balance to my existing standard ISA with ii. I assume as the LISA is an ISA, it is just a transfer of an existing amount and not a new contribution right?

(Would of course like to move this all to Freetrade but it’s not supported currently, sad face).

I am so so sorry to hear that. You have my deepest heartfelt sympathies.

Sincerely,

Another AJ Bell LISA Customer

7 Likes

Does anyone know if this got a mention on the recent Zoom meeting thingie with the Freetrade team? Our LISAs coming for 2021/22?

Don’t recall this being mentioned… of the other ISA type of accounts, they did mention JISA but didn’t sound like they are working on that.

Also just voted for this for you, I think I hadn’t previously because we all had limited number of votes.

1 Like

:kissing_closed_eyes: Thanks for the reply and for the vote!

Ugh… I have at least another year trapped in AJ Hell then. Their £9.99 buy/sell fees really limit the amount of holdings I have and my willingness to move anything around. It’s making the whole thing far riskier than it should be.

4 Likes

In AJBell you can reduce fees by using regular investing. I.e. sell down for £9.99, set regular investing to buy at £1.50. that might reduce the hit of rebalancing.

But indeed I too just buy VWRL and leave it. But noticed now that there is a share class that accumulates dividends. Should have bought that one, as otherwise I keep having pennies in the account.

Pleaseeee start offering a LISA then i can be rid of HL completely (just transferred my SIPP) :laughing:

13 Likes

Please freetrade, I’d much rather pay a flat monthly fee to you, than pay through the nose to AJ Bell.

Paid £10.05 to deal £1k of CUS1! :nauseated_face:

8 Likes