Liquid Stocks, Illiquid Stocks?

I bought a UK stock - Aura Energy on 6th April 2021 and sold it on 9th April 2021, and went on to buy 2 more stocks and sold them. I assumed I would be able to withdraw my money in 2 to 3 days as per Freetrade regulation, but alas up to now I still havenā€™t been able to withdraw 29/04/21. I have been on the case with Freetrade the last 2 weeks and have been told that it might take longer than 2 to 3 days to settle. And when I queried this further I was finally told a few days ago that Liquid stocks take longer to settle; which hasnā€™t been mentioned on any of their notices. I was also told that Aura Energy hasnā€™t settled, thatā€™s why I canā€™t withdraw and been told that Aura Energy ā€œis a very illiquid stockā€. Gosh what does that mean and where does this come from. Itā€™s now more than 11 working days I still canā€™t withdraw my money. Anyone experienced this dilemma before?

I havenā€™t personally encountered this specific issue. However, illiquid stocks obviously exist; some are simply traded far less frequently than others. What I have experienced is limit orders failing to execute for extended periods when a price has been reached. Precisely because theyā€™re less popular and less frequently traded.

As thereā€™s a lot of plumbing/things happening in the background when we trade and various parties that need to settle trades, this issue doesnā€™t surprise me. Thankfully, it is rare. It surprises me that itā€™s taken this long, however. As unfortunate as it is, I think you just need to be patient. Iā€™ve always found :freetrade: to be open and honest. They want you to get your money/have a good experience and trade with them again. Theyā€™ve no real incentive to slow it down - even if it was in the millions - as the trust users have in the company is paramount to their business continuing to do well.

1 Like