Lloyds Banking Group - LLOY - Share Chat

Iā€™m so utterly utterly sick of LLOY now. Been holding them for what seems like forever without much gain and to be frank, once the ex-divided has been met, Iā€™m selling. Iā€™d rather just have the money.

2 Likes

Itā€™s a tough one, seems to be for years its been a case of thinking itā€™ll surely now rise then to be hit with a drop or minimal gain. The fact itā€™s inextricably linked to the British economy doesnā€™t help, since thatā€™s taken a battering year after year recently.

I still have case for optimism, with any luck this year the economy will reopen and become stronger and more stable. In the background, the bank still made profit through this financial year (and would have made more profit than last year if not for the bad loan provisions), have streamlined processes and will be reducing office space to lower costs, whilst looking to explore wealth management options to increase revenue.

Overall itā€™s in a stronger position, but might not increase massively price-wise until share buybacks start to occur again. Might not be an instant overnight increase, although I reckon in the next couple of years weā€™ll start to see increase.

As always, views are my own and DYOR, DD etc

A much more measured approached than my ā€œf@%k it all!ā€ :joy:

I know BREXIT and COVID have battered it and kept pushing it down every time it looked like going up. I took advantage of both to buy more and average down but Iā€™m hoping to use most of it toward a house deposit soon and a bit frustrated by it all. Thought it was looking up today but the curse hit and itā€™s down. Again.

Iā€™m up a bit overall m at the moment but canā€™t help but think it would have been better spread over a few ETFs.

Another positive is that British banks have already had to set aside all the money loaned out due to covid and write it off as a loss. So earnings took a battering this year but shouldnā€™t be affected going forwardā€¦in theory

1 Like

A very good point! Well, hereā€™s to 2021 and things looking a bit brighter!

I was really surprised when it opened higher today after results, as all the other ā€˜big banksā€™ saw their price drop by at least a couple % on results announcement day. Looks like LBG is now following suit.

In the short term, how the vaccine and reduction of covid restrictions play out the next couple months will have a relatively important part to play. The chancellors budget at the start of March might also cause some movement.

These could go either way though, Iā€™m in a position where I bought in at the bottom of the dip and now canā€™t decide whether to buy more now or wait for another dip.

1 Like

Yeah, wondered if Iā€™d missed some news when it jumped.

Nice position to be in. I first bought some in Lloyds (first shares actually) after the financial crash and then some more after Brexit and the early part of 2020 with COVID.

Hoping thisā€™ll rise but Iā€™m doubtful itā€™ll happen in the timeframe Iā€™m going to need the cash in. Luckily Iā€™m up a bit so wonā€™t feel hard done by - itā€™s been an experience so far!

1 Like

https://www.hl.co.uk/feeds/apps/share-research?id=47464

Dividends are back 0.57p per share

4 Likes

Morning all, my grumpiness with LLOY is starting to fade - does anyone know the reason for the increase in the last few days?

Morning! Seems to be from the general sentiment of the UK recovery going to be quicker than expected, and probably some of the more positive news from the budget. Iā€™d expect a small drop again but nothing too concerning unless anything major happens.

Wondering how the 5% mortgages will impact - more business I suppose with reduced risk as the treasury will cover a lot of it (80% I think I heard). Hopefully itā€™ll push it higher still :crossed_fingers:

If inflation spikes, which it could with Brexit issues and covid impact plus ties to the states and the trouble they are having with high corporate debt and bond rates rising, I think the BOE will raise interest rates to quell inflation.

If they do that, we are super early on this, because money to slam into the bankā€™s as they are doing right now in the states.

Personally, I am picking Lloyds as my primary UK inflation hedge, anticipating interest rate increases in years to come.
I think the price has been battered, probably a bit too much, so not much downside risk.

Edit: Yep, another is calling it. Rates may have to rise sooner to tame inflation threat, says Bank economist | Bank of England | The Guardian . Locked in that mortgage rate :joy:, moving some cash to financials, hold tight riders.

Hopefully wrong, but if so, seems little downside to being prepared here.

1 Like

not letting me sell them ?

Anyone got any idea whatā€™s happening with LLOY at the moment? I expected the hit after Biden announced the restrictions to nicotine but then the FTSE rose again and LLOY is continuing down. Is this the drop post ex-dividend drop? Iā€™d have expected that the day after. Getting grumpy again with this stock. Thanks!

Read a motley Fool article today that said dip is most likely due to being past the dividend date

1 Like

15th April was the ex dividend date. Payout is the 25th May.

3 Likes

Finally these shares are heading in the right direction

3 Likes

Yes great to see growth. Long may it continue

2 Likes
3 Likes