Lloyds Banking Group - LLOY - Share Chat

:grinning:your doing a fantastic job of making me well jell :grinning: jokes.

Jokes aside
Fantastic large position you got there

2 Likes

Just bought in again, total holding 1093, sit back and watch, nice profit on itā€™s way.

1 Like

Implies around 1.41p increase in share price but then it closes with cost increases so that some or all of that number will be clawed back. Kind of makes sense why such a ā€˜leakā€™ would be made.

Yes. Not necessarily old fashioned. The jury is out on buy backs. Buy backs never guarantee share price rises. True, in some circumstances they make sense. The sort of buy back implied in the article is really a share manipulation strategy - it is suggesting to some that management doesnā€™t believe that the share price will grow with organic growth. And I think the sting in the tail is the end of the article where it talks about cost increases. So one can speculate now about why buy back rather than special dividend :slight_smile:

On the +ve side the dividend is expected to rise about 12% in each of the next two consecutive years. But the share price increase has baked this in. So if there are any surprises on this front we should expect appropriate share price re-evaluation.

1 Like

Some encouraging news coming out of Lloyds ahead of their announcement next week!

3 Likes

That is good news. I was looking for a bank to invest in to diversify a little more and lloyds was the one i chose a few weeks back, plan to do my last top up Monday and look forward to some more good news Thursday.

What is happening Thursday then?:thinking: please
Results?

Yeah, years finals. So hopefully a nice dividend announcement and buyback scheme.

1 Like

Might be worth little top up?:thinking: Currently up about 10% :+1:t2:

Nice, iā€™m currently -4.20% but with dividend stocks that doesnā€™t bother me too much. And in times like these everything can change from day to day :relieved:

But donā€™t get me wrong I would much rather be looking at +10%

1 Like

Donā€™t know if itā€™s 100% right bit Iā€™ve just been looking on dividendmax and itā€™s saying itā€™s gone up to quarterly divs pay and saying itā€™s dividend today is 6.8% with an 84% accuracy :thinking:

1 Like

Well Iā€™ll be damned you are right. I do like me a quarterly dividend, i feel better and better about my choice.

It was actually the black horse that swayed me, but if they are going to add some financial upside then I wonā€™t say no.

1 Like

I can see no indication on the Lloyds bank Shareholder information page that there has been a change in the dividend payout frequency.

Every quarter Lloyds bank issues a management statement. But traditionally Lloyds has an interim and a final dividend. There have been specials in the past. Even if there was no change in the annual dividend, breaking up the dividend into four payments would have a material impact so we would have seen some commentary about this somewhere!

Iā€™d put down the dividendmax listing to a template error at this stage.

2 Likes

Lloyds went quarterly a couple of years back just before the pandemic then dividends were cut so on one saw this but I presume it will be quarterly with dividend reinstatement now.

4 Likes

Ah ok. Dividendmax lists only one quarterly ever and that is on 24 Feb 2021. As you say perhaps that was when they announced the shift to quarterly payments. But what is weird is that the Lloyds bankā€™s own dividend page doesnā€™t list this as a quarterly payment but as a Final payment for 2020.

Thanks for the pointer! I am a bit more puzzled now though!

4 Likes
2 Likes

Very Good.

That first article makes it clear that the intention was set in 2019. Of course the pandemic intervened and they did not pay a dividend after the 2019 Interim until the Final 2020 which was declared in 2021.

2 Likes

LBG have went back to 1/2 yearly payouts at present, they did announce to change pre pandemic but then decided to stay in their previous model.

Still plenty to look forward to with this one I believe. Theyā€™ve recently completed the acquisition of Embark group which gives them some stronger diversification into pensions and retirement services.

3 Likes

Hello all, given some lack of clarity on this I spent a short while trying to find a definitive statement from Lloyds bank group. It was made on the earnings call July 2021

Going forward, the Group will revert to paying any ordinary dividends half yearly, rather than quarterly, with the quantum announced with the half year and full year results. The Board believes this approach is appropriate in the current environment given its simplicity, environmental benefits and the additional flexibility it provides to the business

Conclusion: The dividend payout is not quarterly and is not meant to be quarterly.

Also we can expect th dividend to be progressive

ā€¦ in line with the Boardā€™s commitment to future capital returns, and has reintroduced a progressive and sustainable ordinary dividend policy.

A FAQ was also prepared:

4 Likes

A live look at @bitflip this morning :mag_right:

5 Likes