Marcus by Goldman Sachs

Yes but as we already said above this isnā€™t the same type of account. Minimum deposit accounts do tend to have slightly higher rates.

1 Like

Goldman are looking to offer a stocks and shares isa as well. Competition is heating up.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/145467d6-da1b-11e9-8f9b-77216ebe1f17

1 Like

Hmm, what am I missing here? Al Rayan bank offer is a better rate than Marcus for amounts greater than Ā£500 and there is no lock-in (is there?). Of course, it is not a guaranteed rate.

Thatā€™s it though isnā€™t it, itā€™s not guaranteed, it has a minimum deposit. Itā€™s not the same type of account.

I can get accounts with more than 1.5% interest. But there not the same type.

not to mention, itā€™s from Goldman Sachs :octopus:

1 year on, tale of the tape :film_strip::

:phone:

:pound:

2 Likes

Despite Marcus is one of the best in its niche market those rates do not beat inflation, do they?

Do people use it because of other reasons like easy-access, FSCS protection, diversificationā€¦?

Youā€™ll be hard pushed to find a ā€˜no stringsā€™ instant access savings account that beats inflation. Marcus probably the best at present.

1 Like

No savings account exists currently that beats inflation. (Fixed savers average out under inflation as well generally because of the limit on what you can put in)

Savings accounts are not for investing, theyā€™re for saving for something like an emergency fund, sofa, or car. They arenā€™t meant to beat inflation because thereā€™s zero risk.

1 Like

Marcus changed their T&Cs overnight - now max deposit is Ā£250k (!!), and they can drop interest rate at 14 days notice (previously 2 months).

2 Likes

They must be getting even closer to the limit where theyā€™d need to ringfence their retail banking. Which is what they want to avoid having to do.

2 Likes

It was 250k when they first launched as well. At some stage they lowered it for new accounts and it looks like they have now reversed this.

1 Like

Mobile app :us: Would be nice to have on :uk: shores this year:

7 Likes

ā€œOn holdā€ :stop_sign: :

2 Likes

I hope more cash savings products will include a competitive regular saver

Regular savers are often a loss leader used by banks as a hook to get people to use their current account, thatā€™s why the rates are so attractive. I wouldnā€™t have thought GS would use this tactic until they offer a current account, their variable rate is one of the best in the market already

2 Likes

Hopefully, Monzo will get their act together now. GS are not to be messed with.

1 Like

Do the FreeTrade community know of an update on Marcus 1.30%? Will this continue?

There has been nothing posted to customers so it will be at least 14 days before changes are made. Goldman Sachs may be hoping to poach other banking customers before making a cut so it may stay as 1.3% for sometime.

2 Likes

They have their 1 year fixed rate account at 1.45% if your concerned about rate changes.

Their easy access saver is more about eh easy access. As long as itā€™s above 1% itā€™s an excellent instant access savings account imo

2 Likes