Megathread - šŸ”„ Dividend Fest šŸ”„

Yuno Iā€™m more interested why people making such a Fuzz over the Dividend - In sure a few days delay nor going to kill anyone

11 Likes

Hello,

OK, I will try to explain.

When you donā€™t get the dividend on time, itā€™s an opportunity cost. I canā€™t exactly remember the details but I have been in the situation where Iā€™ve been expecting a Ā£30 or so dividend and have wanted to buy a stock that was going cheap that day but couldnā€™t because the dividend was about two days late. Same applies if it is the day before the ex-dividend date on the stock and your dividend that was due two days ago still hasnā€™t arrived, you miss out on the opportunity to accrue even more dividends since you canā€™t buy that stock before it expires. Even if you donā€™t find anything you want to buy, youā€™re still missing out on accruing interest in your account, ok itā€™s not much, but every little adds up. I donā€™t expect the dividend to be there that exact minute or even the same day, but if itā€™s a UK stock, I certainly donā€™t expect it to be delivered more than 24 hours later.

Now I hope other forum members would back me up when I say that Iā€™m generally very positive about FreeTrade, I love how they offer access to the market at such a cheap price (and yes, Ā£5 per month is cheap for such a good package!). I find them very friendly when I contact support and generally everything in the app is easy and works very well. Yes there are some really annoying niggles like some inaccurate average stock purchase price but Iā€™ve got round that by logging everything in Excel as well. So generally, Iā€™m not wanting to move away from FT.

However, the delay in dividend payment is a red line for me. Iā€™m already angry at having missed certain opportunities and I will not be doing this imminently as I hope FT will fix this issue in the near future, but I will be looking around for alternatives if this problem continues indefinitely!

17 Likes

Totally agree could not have put it better than that :+1:

3 Likes

It wasnā€™t the delay that was necessarily the issue for me. It was the degradation of service with no information on cause. Which Gemma has now provided more info on whatā€™s happened.

Now we know whatā€™s causing the issue and why more clearly and what their next steps are to bring it back to proper service.

Worth noting that itā€™s not just a few days either. And without more info (and with tbh) we now need to keep more careful track of dividends to make sure we know if itā€™s a delay or if they havenā€™t been paid

5 Likes

I can see your point on this , i have noticed some of my dividend payment have come though 2 to 3 day later than its expected. And a buying opportunity comes on that dividend payment day.

As the dividend i receive is at a small amount at the moment its not a big issue for me making reinventing opportunityā€™s the dividend back into my holdings.

But as my holdings grows and dividend payments increases to the point were the dividend payment could make a big difference/ good opportunity on that day would be great if the payments would be payed on the payment date.

But like all the best investors in the world say we carnt time the market.

Its unfortunate that its a good buying opportunity on dividend payments date and carnt buy more.

Its good that the issue has been identified and looked at by FT team and there looking to sort this issue out. And in the future less likely this issue will happen.

Peace all

2 Likes

Why do you wait till getting the dividend to buy some other opportunity?

3 Likes

Because unfortunately I donā€™t have spare cash lying around that I can readily upload to FreeTrade in order to make purchases. While I put whatever spare cash I can into investing, unfortunately the plan I made to invest Ā£250 per month into my ISA which was realistic when I made that plan unfortunately now isnā€™t with the costs of utilities and other things going up. So because I canā€™t put aside very much at all, Iā€™m pretty dependent on my dividend payments. Unless there really isnā€™t anything I wish to buy, my ISA cash balance is pretty much always zero.

Luckily I had good investments elsewhere that I transferred into FT so I have some good months where I get reasonably substantial dividends which I will be able to multiply over time if I am clever about where I invest them.

Thank God for forward preparation, and hopefully there will come a time when I am able to put a regular investment into the ISA again!

2 Likes

Ironically the delay in the natwest dividend meant things I had it earmarked for had gone down in price so freetrade inadvertently saved me some money. The reply from the freetrade employee reassures me they are taking this very seriously and hopefully things will flow more quickly in the not too distant future.

4 Likes

I think i will be in when the new tax year starts.

1 Like

Wouldnā€™t it be easier to buy the Stock for Ā£30 then wait for the Dividend afterwards (Withdraw it into your Bank Account )

1 Like

Do you not have an emergency fund in an instant access account?

If I was desperate to buy on the dividend payment date I would just add the Ā£30 in and withdraw the dividends when they come through.

This obviously wouldnā€™t work if you were over the ISA limit for the year.

I understand your frustration but in the grand scheme of things is it the end of the world?

2 Likes

Sorry, I really donā€™t understand the question. The Ā£30 I named in my example was a dividend I was due to receive. I would have wished to use it to buy something else had it been available in a timely manner.

I can see what you are saying but with it being an ISA, I do not want to be withdrawing money from there, not unless FreeTrade make it into one of those accounts where you can return withdrawn money in the same tax year (Iā€™ve forgotten what they are called). I realise itā€™s not likely, but that might lead me to not be able to use my full tax allowance should I be fortunate enough to top up to Ā£20,000 in the next tax year.

I know some people may not see it as a big deal, but I do not see it as good customer service and I will not put up with it indefinitely.

2 Likes

Got ya. I am sorry youā€™re in that position and hope things get better for you soon.

2 Likes

Due yesterday, received today:

5 Likes

Still not received Shell dividend but got my LSE dividend today.

The best thing to do with dividends is not rely on them which I seem to see a lot doing like ā€œI must receive my dividends or I cannot buy my food shop this monthā€ kind of desperation.

7 Likes

not desperation imo. if youā€™re investing for cash flow then the timing and reliability of those payments is critical.

3 Likes

Yes I agree with you. We shouldnā€™t presume what customer motivations are here. For example, we can imagine that some people in retirement depend on dividend timing. Whether that is good or not is really not my business. But as a business it is reasonable that customers expectations are met.

4 Likes

So what youā€™re saying is there trying to rely on these businesses always dishing out set amounts of dividends always hummm. I mean sure do it but if the company folds and or we have a recession like now and the companies stop paying out such high dividends or else completely stop then what?

Iā€™m guessing they have rainy day funds or maybe they would cut back on something else to offset thw lack of dividends, maybe they reinvest somewhere else who knows.

Nothing to do with the invested companies, itā€™s to do with freetrade. A bit of charity goes a long way.

People are upset or annoyed rightfully for whatever reasons they have for the degradation and unreliability of freetrade paying out dividends promptly and on time.

Itā€™s not the companies not paying on time. Itā€™s freetrade not paying on time.

4 Likes