Megathread - 🔥 Dividend Fest 🔥

The dividend income part of my portfolio was the only part I enjoyed looking at in 2022! :smile:

Hoping to increase the annual income received by 10% in 2023.

4 Likes

This was exactly the beginners mistake I made this year in several cases. As long as the stock is stable and likely to recover I don’t mind but unfortunately one of those I ended up selling at a massive loss was Persimmon which not only almost halved in value but also suspended dividends! Total car crash along with Tesla and Synthomer.

But, this is my first year investing and I aim to make all my beginner error losses before April so that I can say 2023/24 is the year I started my serious investing. Will see if I get time to post results later but so far I’m at £975 for the 2022/23 financial year.

4 Likes

I tend to track my dividends with pen and paper as opposed to charts but
2021 (starting investing April 2021) £8.45 dividends
2022 £117.77

All reinvested and if dividends continue will be on for more next year.
3 main holdings Aviva, bt and Taylor wimpey. BT and Taylor Wimpey are showing at roughly 20-25% loss and Aviva my average was 3.88 (prior to the share buyback shenanigans- not including the money received from Aviva as share buybacks as not dividends).

3 Likes

Credit where it’s due: FT seems to have gotten much quicker paying out dividends. For me at least, the past three or four have hit my account on the payment date. :+1:

2 Likes

And thank you MJR again for sharing your graphs, I always enjoy seeing them.

I’ll try to copy you here, although obviously I cannot do yearly comparisons as I only started in February 2022. I’ve been lucky to have a good amount of capital to begin with, unlike many here, so my dividends have been unusually high for a beginner. However, I have to say I’m a little older than many here and didn’t pay as much attention to my money as I should have done prior to this.

Between April and December 2022, I received £975.58. As you can see October was absolute garbage and I’m working on that for next year but other months haven’t been bad, albeit unevenly spread. Not entirely sure what I will get up to 5 April 2023 as DividendMax annoyingly doesn’t include most of my ETFs, but I’m aiming for a total of at least £1,100.

Portfolio top holdings (total exceeded £22,000 for the first time today, although it’s now back to just under that). I know there is a lack of balance in some areas, such as far too high a proportion of Admiral. Persimmon was my top holding and I was completely burned by that (lesson learned!):

And the dreaded money-weighted rate of return. Here since Feb 2022. It includes my horrendous beginner errors that I mentioned earlier and looks very unimpressive:

As you can probably understand, I prefer the 3 Month view :laughing:

My hopes for next year:

1. Compounding of all dividends received. Unfortunately I’m very limited with what new funds I can put in but even compounding of existing dividends makes a big difference.
  2. Higher dividends each month to the month prior year - this should be achieveable for all months other than the two months of July and September which might be a bit vulnerable (July was Persimmon which will likely not pay a dividend in 2023 and September had special dividends from NatWest which won’t come again and Admiral which could but isn’t guaranteed.
  3. Better investing as I learn more and become more knowledgeable. I do feel I am getting there, I’m already so much better an investor than I was 10 months ago.
  4. To have fun, because at the end of the day, investing is a bit of a hobby of mine and I do really enjoy it.
3 Likes

Amazing data for year 1! I cannot wait to see your data come December 2023!

1 Like

Not strictly dividends but I had a £100 on the premium bonds this month that equaled my total prizes for 2022 which was the worst year I have had on them.

1 Like

Do you have large holding in premium bonds?

1 Like

A few grand less than half what you can hold I have had it in there for a few years, apart from last year I have always beaten the rate I would have got in a savings account in prizes and there is always the possibility of a large prize win however unlikely.

2 Likes

I have family who when they had about half allowance never won. Maxed it and win every month £100ish. I took mine out as got fed up of not winning ha.

even a £100/mth win on the £50K max is a poor annual return at 2.4%
the only good thing is your capital is secure

2 Likes

Just an update, I wrote off the last 3 months and cracked on with life…

Checked the other day and realized I must have had a good present delivered over the Christmas period.

Stats for Total income

Yearly Total = £1144.60
Monthly Average = £95.38
Best month = £209.34 - December
Not so good month = £1.40 - October

A nice picture.

16 Likes

I’m a few years further into my dividend investment journey @CarlScott but your four years is very similar to my first four:

16 Likes

That’s great! Congratulations so far! Keep it up.

I did start investing around 2015-2016, I was reckless, buying companies like Carillion :unamused: and others that melted away, leaving me with very little to show, Not to mention I was using Computershare.
I was getting hammered by fee’s because I was buying small amounts in a few different stocks at a time, I also didn’t keep track of it as much as I do FreeTrade.

It’s all life lessons, I could afford to lose that money (not that I liked to), but it has set me back on my journey to save for my future plans, Anyway we will all get there one day as long as we stay disciplined.

Enjoy your night Everyone.

7 Likes

This is an amazing push for beginners like myself. I’d love to see similar results to what you have.

My total portfolio is £22,000 and annual dividends of around £1,000. Hope to get this to £30,000 and £1,200, respectively this year.

5 Likes

Keep plugging away and good luck with your goal.

4 Likes

This gives me some hope as well, with this being the start of my second year with my ISA. I only managed total dividends of £24.57 last year and whilst my goal is growth rather than dividends, it’s always nice to earn a little something extra!

3 Likes

Im a beginner too, although havent quite got the technical ability for amazing Excel sheets, but started focusing on dividends last September, and can already see a slight increase month on month.

I do have a question though, when dividends come in, are people investing back into the same company or investing into others? So ATM, my dividends are being reinvested into EM Bond which pays monthly dividends (hardly anything at the moment but will increase)… just wondered people’s thoughts?

I add my dividends into Gladstone from all and when i get a large dividend I put into a new stock. Hopefully FT will give the option to auto buy fractionals with dividends into the stock that paid them soon. This and the whole pie element are all linked to be a good overall function.

Fingers crossed the development soon coming out is noot beta and does all this :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I personally track dividends paid relative to initial investment and throw my dividends back into the ones which are highest.

Here for example, I’d be looking to put some of my dividends into Aviva, BP, BHP, Gladstone, Shell, Rio.

3 Likes