MEGATHREAD: European expansion 🇪🇺

I am a Beta user of Freetrade in the Netherlands since Jan 2020.

I have a small amount invested in stocks on Freetrade and my goal was to start investing more in 2022.
However, my concern is that my current account is Pound currency based. So what will happen to my Pound portfolio when the Netherlands lunch will be live? Would it be a seemless transition from Pound to Euro? Or does it mean I have to close my current account (…by eventually taking losses) and open a new Euro account?

A clarity on this would be appreciated since there should be quite some more beta tester out there in similar situations.

10 Likes

The way I see it common sense mandates you should keep the shares you already own. It makes no sense to have to sell them

As for cash held in Pound Sterling I suspect that will have to be converted into €uros.

For now I think it’s ok to keep cash in Pounds. But as soon as the app opens for regular business in your country just invest that cash in stocks or ETFs of your choice. That way you avoid having to see your cash converted into €uros.

The above is just my perspective. I’m don’t work for Freetrade

1 Like

Could this be what Freetrade was waiting for?

Edit: Beaten by Juno Brian Billy!

17 Likes

Can we have a please don’t flag / call out Brian (Juno) day? Just one day?

Everyone (including you Brian) let’s play nicely :ok_hand:t2:

17 Likes

So we are getting the crowdfunding announcement tomorrow hopefully :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Didn’t freetrade say they could raise 8 million in the UK and 7 million in the EU back on the last zoom call.

5 Likes

Please can we do this. It’s such a pain having to scroll through so many messages about someone who clearly isn’t going to stop what ever it is he’s doing.

3 Likes

They just don’t care enough.
And that’s exactly what Marx would have done, ban people til 3020, classic policy from the Communist Manifesto.

3 Likes

Even I agree that 1000 year ban is quite ridiculous but you’ve not even served a year away from the forum. In another post you self agreed to serve a ban til January 2022 and you’ve already broken that promise.

6 Likes

Let’s try and keep the thread on topic and civil please, thank you.

11 Likes

I think Austria would be good since I know people there that want to invest but have no easy way of doing so, so Freetrade could help them a lot and would gain many customers. Do you know a rough timescale for the European release?

1 Like

Have you told them about freetrades crowdfunding?

2 Likes

How would that help get Freetrade to Austria?

No idea. Hopefully having more people investing from Europe will open them to more conversation about which markets to target when EU roll out starts.

1 Like

Swedish page updated to 2022

2 Likes

Disappointing. Good spot

Lets hope its early 2022!

EU stocks to be rolled out in the next few days, starting with Finnish

22 Likes

Hurrah!

Was this in an email? Nothing my end?

1 Like

Hyvä Suomi! :finland::finland::finland:

Edit: They’re on there now.