MEGATHREAD: Recurring orders (Beta) is here

Oh thatā€™s interesting. I think I like how thats setup, prevents any ISA limit issues. Glad it was thought out.

Would a recurring order simply not trigger then after the standing order since itā€™s not enough in the account.

I assume that youā€™re referring to the GIA funds in that scenario. If so, we couldnā€™t take the assumption that any funds redirected to GIA (that was meant for ISA) were meant to be invested for the same stock in the GIA!

On that topic though, if your standing order is Ā£20, and your stock is not fractional and above the Ā£20 share price, then the funds will not invest, but simply deposit the Ā£20 in your account.

Think of it this way. Recurring orders is essentially Standing Orders + automated Buy. If the criteria for buying that stock is not met (e.g. insufficient funds) then only the first part will happen (deposit).

Standing orders must be cancelled by the customer from their bank account to stop, however weā€™ve added the deactivation feature to prevent automatic investing (the funds will keep being deposited, but not invested in the stock if the recurring order is inactive)

5 Likes

Excellent. Thanks for the detailed info. Iā€™ve said it before, it makes Freetrade stand out from the rest

11 Likes

This is a step in the right direction :+1:

5 Likes

But if you pick a stock and sudden your stock is flying high and want to sell you donā€™t really want to be putting more money into it surely if thinking of selling after a certain point? Or is it to just stop you putting money in yourself

When standing order does it for you :thinking:

1 Like

This is great news. I need to transfer my accounts away from FT more often. As soon as I do, it cuts the cost of services by 40%ish and starts rolling out features weā€™ve waited years for! :laughing:

1 Like

The typical use case is when you are growing your ā€œcore potā€. So for example, you decide you want to buy a share regularly (e.g. a steady ETF) then you would do this. You add a fixed sum to your FT account regularly and that sum is used to buy a stated share: both events i.e. adding a fixed sum of money from your bank account and buying are done automatically for you**. The objective is long term. In some senses it is an aid for the passive investor.

The idea might seem alien to those who engage in ā€œdown averagingā€ and want to actively decide every day what they want to do next.

** another way to look at this is that it is automated ā€œpound cost averagingā€ for you.

5 Likes

Itā€™s mainly the latter. As mentioned early, this is purely automating deposits and buys. A feature like this is intended for long-term investing.

Of course, nothing is stopping you from selling, cancelling or deactivating a recurring order, or setting limit orders and stop losses.

3 Likes

Great job Freetrade!

4 Likes

Fixed % split for the buys would be a nice additional option, but Iā€™d also like variable percentage split.

Iā€™d like to tell Freetrade what % distribution Iā€™d like to maintain across the holdings at portfolio level. With every regular payment Freetrade would then make a selection of buys to keep the % split in my portfolio as close to the desired split as possible.

2 Likes

I get that to a degree and agree with you very much so,

Suppose if you want to test a stock and you donā€™t have to splash out big and like you said want to average down automatically
But if you buy and then goes above previous buy price itā€™s a big pointless unless itā€™s a long term buy?

But surely you could do that now and maybe itā€™s stop from getting lazy :rofl:
I know my investing has decreased ATM
Due to a few more direct debits been altered

Suppose if got set amount to play with every month itā€™s fine :+1:t2:

I wonder if any of the underlying work can be reused for dividend reinvestment as well when that feature is implemented :thinking:

3 Likes

Selecting a industrial or market say looking for oil and gas stock with a certain % dividend payout but then it would just get complicated and probably want to do it yourself anyway

Canā€™t blame anybody if youā€™ve picked the stock yourself haha and that would be getting mega lazy I like to be in control myself and hands on

Gives me something to do :rofl:

That sounds better was told itā€™s called DRIP
But then I like to AVG my stocks down in the red more then reinvest into that company that is doing extra well

This (recurrent orders) is not a strategy for people interested in ā€œaveraging downā€. It might be that it results in the average going down (during some particular period) ā€¦ but this ā€œaverage going downā€ is explicitly not the purpose of recurrent orders. When you are doing this you have (usually) decided that you like share X and you wish to buy it regularly (e.g. every month) for the next Y years - during that time the purchase price will go up and down. This kind of regular purchase is a widely used method for long term wealth growth.

I have noticed, several times on this forum, that people confuse pound cost averaging with ā€œaveraging downā€.

Yes, obviously, you could do this regular purchase manually if you want to.

4 Likes

So am I reading this right?

If I wanted to set up say 10 recurring buys/stocks I would need to add 10 different standing orders?

And if I set up say Ā£20 each and the stock is not fractional and is currently say Ā£11 I would have Ā£9 left in balance.

If so I guess it is better than nothing but pretty lumpy and pointless for people who are looking for a pie type option. Would be far easier to add manually for me as I like to add to up to 10 stocks a month but for some I guess it is good, better than nothing.

5 Likes

You can also just schedule recurring deposits (see the other thread). And allocate manually as you see fit

2 Likes

Like myself but I wouldnt say 10 stocks a month maybe 1 big one or couple smaller one :rofl::rofl:

Nice, but, do standing orders from Lloyds Banking group appear in the activity feed yet?

Data must be flowing for the balance to update, so, if updating one field in one table in the database why cannot another table have a row inserted to reflect the activity?

sIPP opened last week, standing order paid from Lloyds on Monday yet to appear in SIPP.

In terms of standing orders for Lloyds banking group see the reply here

1 Like