MercadoLibre (MELI) - Share Chat

MercadoLibre, Inc. is an Argentine company incorporated in the United States that operates online marketplaces dedicated to e-commerce and online auctions, including mercadolibre.com. MercadoLibre is Latin America’s most popular e-commerce site by number of visitors

Mercado Libre - Wikipedia.

https://www.google.co.uk/finance?q=NASDAQ:MELI

This is one I requested a while ago, its like a South American Amazon. I want a bit of diversity in my portfolio, away from companies that rely on US or European markets. The dividend yield is a whopping 0.18% so I can see that putting a lot of people off

Yep super super keen for this!

2 Likes

Third attempt at posting in this thread.
Cant be bothered goings into detail again and again.
Just a few simple statements.
They appear to be grossly overpriced on 88 PE.
Something i would not normally be interested in.
They are near enough on 1 year peak price.
Dont appear on initially view to have been affected by the sell off in growth stocks but looking back further than 1 year they have peaked on nearly double there present price.
Possibly at the start of a long journey.
The financials on HL suggest they are on there way.

Hargreaves Lansdowne

Quoteddata SMT shareholding

And

52 WEEK RANGE

$600.69 - $1,329.49

Oops just noticed I am up 3.5% since April 6th.
This is the sort of share where I would not be surprised if I was down by 3.5% by end of the week.

Worrying.
US looks overvalued. This share looks cheap despite its very high PE. Growth is superb. I am up 16% and its on a year high.
But if reality hits the US market it will take this down with it, no matter how good the company is.

“Mercado Libre breaks sales record and registers the biggest
Black Friday in its history.
Partial results for Thursday and Friday, until 5pm, indicate an 80% increase in Gross
Merchandise Volume compared to 2022
Electronics sales increase 140%, driven by cell phones, notebooks and TVs
Total payment volume in online sales via Mercado Pago, outside the Mercado Libre platform,
grew 87% in the same period”

All press releases from MercadoLibre

Presently up 36%…one of those i wish i had bought more shares!

MercadoLibre and Globant are 2 stocks from Latin America I wish I had bought long time ago.

I will probably add to MercadoLibre. Not sure when though.
Never heard of Globant.

Globant is kind of the Infosys / Accenture of South America. They started ~20 years ago in Argentina (around the time their government defaulted); they were able to pick really good engineers for very, very cheap and managed to get big contracts in the US. Since then they have expanded to all of Latin America and have a large number of big customers in a good number of verticals (retail, entretainment, baking, gaming, etc).

Their base is still in Argnetina, and given that the economy is still in shatters there, they will keep making tons of free chash.

I work in technology, and once worked in a project in which Globant was involved too.

Struggling to fully understand Globant. A bit of everything? Or is there some logic to the mix/parts? IE are they offering one stp shop?
I have a large shareholdings in HGT which is 100% software private equity.
AI will effect language software and genetics first and foremost, i have yet to make up my mind
on wherever AI will be beneficial to software manufacturers.
I have no doubt it will benefit users but i am uncertain as to the financial benefits to providers over the medium term.
Will it result in more competition and less profit.

It’s a a good amount of everything rather than a bit (I has 27k employees!). And I think they profile themselves to be a one stop shop for any technology and ‘digital transformation’ needs.

And I agree with you on AI, I’m not sure it will transform software development. It will probably help a bit on relatively simple things, but I doubt it will be able to speed up the development of complex platforms.

1 Like

Will struggle at the moment to add to mercadolibre. It keeps rising rapidly.
I have £3.50 cash in my ISA I may buy some on Monday. It may take a while to reach the present price of $1,792 per share investing small amounts. A long long time!

Article on mercadolibre

Not enough emphasis on the payment system. Even in the above article. Not a clone of PayPal but has some similarities.
Offers micro loans to small businesses.
Supposedly this has been very important in the economic growth of India.
It has it’s fingers in many pies, possibly to many.

Odd one up 4% on quarterly update. Following day down 14%.
Market is uncertain about future growth and profits impacted badly by one of tax charges in Brazil.
This is difficult one may add may not.
Have a very very large holding in 3i group which I fancy reducing a bit.
Mercadolibre
Georgia capital
Renewables infrastructure
Difficult one.
Given a bit to Georgia capital and fair bit to the renewables.

Old YouTube article 2019/2020