Meta - META - Share Chat

Based on anecdote and levels.fyi it seems FB have had to pay quite a bit more than their peers for equivalent employees for quite a while now.

The gap for engineering is actually quite small at the moment, perhaps around 5-10% but who knows maybe this will boost it.

1 Like

Here comes another punch

2 Likes

More of a kneecapping than a punch

1 Like

Facebook is paying up to $35k to creators who use Facebook Reels. Could it be a game changer?

2 Likes

Anyone here looking at Meta?

Imagine buying Facebook at sub 14 PE. I already own some but otherwise I would be buying it. It reminds me of BABA which has dropped in recent months as well.

4 Likes

I’ve bought back the shares I sold last october when it was $331

3 Likes

That’s a good result!

Why would you buy it?
Jan’s market cap = 970B; 11th Mar market cap = 530B. Amazing!!

That’s what makes the PE so low, the market cap has dropped a lot relative to earnings.

You’ve got to price in A $10bn perpetual drop thanks to Tim Cook & a further $10bn increasing for Zucks Metaworse idea.

This would drop top line revenue below $100bn so a rough P/E around 20.

I’d rather have Alphabet at 23.

1 Like

Why not both?

Facebook have used their R&D to copy Snapchat & Tik Tok, waste money on oculus & metaworse.

While Google have spent theirs on Waymo & Deepmind.

These business might be in a similar territory at the moment but they have different trajectories.

1 Like

Facebook are doling out upto $35000 to content creators of their new reels. Clearly paying out alot for market share to take the brand global. Can they out perform TikTok. Only time will tell.

The fact that they’re paying $35,000 for what people are doing on TikTok for free tells me ‘reels’ won’t work.

Microsoft trying to kick start ‘Mixer’ by hiring Ninja away from Twitch, it didn’t work and they shut it down.

1 Like

Is this TikTok response :sweat_smile:

I was reading something the other day about how Reels on Instagram was the more curated version whereas Tiktok is where you go to let your hair down. Despite their similarities I guess influencers / creators care more about what they put on their IG Reel grids. Not sure about the terms but maybe that $35k is just meant to help those who take themselves very seriously to purchase the appropriate equipment so that they can churn out curated content which the creators themselves and possibly their followers will come to regard as higher quality content. It could also be something where Gen Z (or whatever they’re called nowadays) would grow up and migrate to IG because it is a more suitable platform.

I wouldn’t say I am bullish about FB, but I will not be so quick to sound the gong for a business that has ~3 billion users globally. Besides we’ve been here before at least twice in FB’s time since they got listed, third time’s a charm

I don’t think Facebook is a squeezed lemon, there is more juice and it might be a good performing stock over a few years but I see them more like IBM - the old guard who have got fat and lazy.

What was the last product that Facebook launched that was unique, not copied or acquired. Portal? I love portal but user collectively said “Nah, I don’t think I want Facebook to have cameras in my home” they’re happy to have Google (Nest & Google Home) & Amazon (Alexa & Ring) on their sideboard - that speaks volumes. I don’t seem them as creative enough to pull of Metaverse and that’s without having an argument about wether their is a market and if there is would it be adopted?

They want to create genuine connections between people through a VR experience yet lock down has shown us that what people crave more is genuine interactions not more tech substitutes. This piece says a lot about the flaws with a Metaverse, you have to build in a 4ft exclusion zone to stop people groping strangers?

I watched the 1 hour Facebook keynote on the metaverse and I’m definitely not writing it off. Even though it’s a long way off, there’s a lot of smart people working on it and Facebook must have some reason to commit that much resources, which I doubt is just ‘desperation’.

I can see people using it to have meetings around the world, who would have thought we would have transitioned 90% of meetings to video calls in the last 2 years, but it works.

Which employer is going to use a platform that have already stated they’re planning on taking more user data than they’re do already. Especially when you get Teams for free & Microsoft have hololense if you want something technically capable.

2 Likes

MZ still spending money.

1 Like