Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) 🖥🖱 - Share Chat

Share price is arbitrary, i.e. a share price of $100 or $1,000 doesn’t mean anything on its own because the company can be split up into any number of shares in theory.

You could have a company with ten shares at $1,000 each, that doesn’t mean it’s a big or successful company. You can look up a company’s market cap and divide by the number of ‘shares outstanding’ to get its share price. Hope that helps.

4 Likes

Thks. I understand what u mean. That info definitely helps. Thks again

1 Like

Microsoft have a track record for splitting their stock, creating more of it to reduce the price, this doesn’t affect how much the company is worth. They’ve done it 9 times since 1987 mostly halving the price each time.

Fun fact if you brought 10 shares at IPO in 1987 you would now hold 2,880 shares but crucially still own the same amount of the company. (¥)

If Microsoft hadn’t done this they’re share price would be 288x times higher or $93,499 (€)

Boring bit-
(¥) If we ignore any new shares created as part of an acquisition or compensation package, which they defiantly have done but you get the idea

(€) The share a price wouldn’t be this high as it would have been impossible for most people to buy a Microsoft share at such a high price before fractional shares were available- less buyers means lower prices.

9 Likes

Context: It’s dropped 1.35% from an all time high 2 weeks ago.

11 Likes

This… Some new investors minds are going to be blown if we see a 20%+ bear market for a period of time… I’m seeing buy when the streets are red with blood quotes after a 3%pullback :joy:

7 Likes

Who’s have though when Steve Balmer was launching the zune miscrosoft would be sitting pretty as the most valuable company in the world?

Steve has ‘made’ $1.4bn today alone, no wonder he looks excited.

7 Likes

Microsoft out here trying to eat everyone’s lunch. Slack. Now Notion :slight_smile:

3 Likes
1 Like

Microsoft want to try and get their slice of the BNPL payments pie :pie:

4 Likes

That is such a shady move

1 Like

There seems to be a split personality with these companies. On the one hand it’s apparently the next big thing. On the other, I guarantee it will destroy peoples lives somehow.

Unnecessary for a browser, but i doubt it’ll make a blip in the share price either way

3 Likes

From a shareholder’s perspective, I don’t have any way of evaluating whether this will be good or bad for business, without knowing all the details. I do know however that as a general statement, I like it when companies innovate and try new things and I have the assumption that a company such as Microsoft has done the significant due diligence on this.

Bit of a cop-out answer, but that’s how I think of it. This is more of a foray into the consumer-sphere, whereas I see them more as a business-facing company so it will be interesting to see how this goes. It feels like something that will exist in the future, payment systems integrated into browsers, so they may have a benefit if they get there first.

2 Likes

I’m not a huge fan of BNPL or financing items as I prefer the delayed gratification of saving to buy it. That said this insist will be regulated much more tightly in the coming years and hopefully these protection will filter out the most harmful aspects. Financing and debt are nothing new if people want stuff without having the money they should be allowed. If a company wants to buy out another business they’re allowed to raising debt and it’s considered a prudent thing to do.

For Microsoft it’s a fantastic opportunity to by pass Klarna, Afterpay & Credit Cards.

1 Like

Hi there, you have replied to me before and seem to comment on most of the 10 stocks i have so thought id ask you the question if you dont mind, like i said im new to this and 8 of my 10 stocks are dropping rapidly, is this what you would call a crash and should i just keep hold ?and add money when the prices are right down as i would anyway on a stock i believe in when the price drops, i know its all my own choice but i would be grateful for your advice, thanks :+1:

1 Like

Not financial advise but it’s best not to sell if you can avoid it.

I’m in for the long run …so will be putting more money in and holding!

2 Likes

Always happy to help out, everyone was new once.

Before you made your purchase I’m assuming you did some research into the companies and how they’ll preform over the next months and years. Re visit that research and only act if you feel differently.

Investing for the last 12/18 months has been in ‘easy mode’ and it’s about to get a whole lot harder.

I can’t tell you what to do but I can tell you to be in emotional and often the best decision is the one you made weeks ago. If you have some money I allocated then consider the stock on sale.

2 Likes

Microsoft has excellent fundamentals and is not going anywhere soon! The drop isn’t that huge at present considering where we were one year ago or even pre pandemic. This stock has done nothing but rise and rise so a correction is probably welcomed by potential investors.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone ive done a little research and still believe in this company and have kept adding to it :+1:

1 Like

Holy moly.

5 Likes

1 Like