Moneysupermarket.com - MONY - Share Chat

Overall, I feel the same way - I like everything about the business, but, like you, what makes it hard for me to open a position is that I can’t see a sustainable competitive advantage. Even if it’s just a rumour, the Amazon price comparison website threat is concerning, although I quite like the fact that Google tried to launch a price comparison website and failed in the past. Interestingly, Google also came under fire from regulators for manipulating their search results to drive traffic. That being said, Amazon are ace at just taking industries as they please.

I completely agree with you about the competition; The PCWs are getting attacked on all sides, mostly by startups as far as I can tell. That being said, I will facepalm myself unconscious if MoneySupermarket end up acquiring the companies i’m so worried about.

It’s spooky reading this - we have very similar thought processes! I love Rightmove as a business, I like their duopolistic position with Zoopla. I do believe though, with a disruptive enough proposition, a network effect driven moat can be eroded. My go-to example is Carwow’s success taking market share from Autotrader (who I view as “Rightmove for Cars” - same network effect driven moat, also a market leader, and have a marketplace-type business model). Carwow are far from dethroning Autotrader, though to be fair, but the disruptive potential of a reverse auction marketplace seemed to really work out.

But yeah, really having a hard time opening a position on MONY given the lack of a moat, I’m on your wavelength exactly there.

Thanks for the kind words, you’re awesome! :+1: Love the community here and just want to contribute :blush:

But yeah, GoCompare seem to be working really hard. Was interesting to read through MoneyDashboard’s pitch deck when they crowdfunded regarding the partnership. Just my personal opinion: In terms of partnerships, I think MoneySupermarket is stronger - my view is they want to be the price comparison plumbing/API for the fintechs that may ultimately disrupt them; Like Drivewealth’s relationship with Revolut, or Plaid’s relationship with numerous fintechs.

GoCompare are also investing left, right and centre in fintechs - I recall them investing in MortgageGym (which crowdfunded btw!) and also the autoswitching site Flipper I believe. So, in a way, disrupted or not disrupted, they’re kind of in a win-win situation I suppose?

2 Likes