Monzo Crowdfunding 2018

Tom also has the following analogy:

Banks can look at us and absolutely are looking at us and copying features. Barclays launched ‘freeze your card’ very recently, which is fine. There is a saying in ice hockey: ‘You’ve got to skate where the puck is going’. If you skate at the puck, it will have moved so far ahead by the time you get there that you’ll have missed it. Banks are looking at us. We are the puck.

He’s mentioned it multiple times but this is from here

Wouldn’t think he’s at all bothered

7 Likes

For those of us who continue to use legacy banks, it’s good news that the likes of Monzo spurs them to make improvements and provide new services! :smile:

4 Likes

I use Santander for my legacy banking requirements and Monzo for everyday stuff. Not even bothered to install the Santander app as I just assume it’s poor. If Monzo can snap other banks into action that can only be good all round.

3 Likes
4 Likes

That was an interesting read :+1:

As a person who doesn’t know what he is talking about,
Was is too much engineering for 36k investments, even though it was for ÂŁ20 million in total?

May be they could have done questionnaire and have “Monzo crowdfunding pot” before that before crowdfunding date, and proceed from there.

Would love to know how much time they have spent.

I really don’t think it was. The first few minutes were absolutely insane. Also it might be a feature they can use again and it also shows off their technical capabilities

There’s another blog that appeared last night

1 Like

I suppose Monzo could sell the tech to the crowdequity platforms, though it’s probably very specific to the rest of Monzo’s stack.

There would have been a time where a co - maybe even Monzo I don’t recall - would have been proud to say that “our campaign broke Crowdcube”, because it sounds like good social proof.

I think they had to be this thorough since a lot of people rely on Monzo. Bringing down access to the Bank would have been a massive issue, especially for a fintech in terms of reputation, and redress.

1 Like

And another blog. Monzo do love their blogs

1 Like

I wonder if they’ll do a £20m crowdfunding every year (or so), which would justify their engineering efforts :thinking:

Still can’t shake the feeling that it is too much of engineering, they might reuse something for the exercise in future as @Rat_au_van said, and some good PR.

May be my expectations are high.

I think that some of the team were quite motivated to get that round done. Have a feeling there might be some news coming out soon

what news do you think will be coming out?

21.7m worth sold by founders and team to new investors at Round E , Crowdcube investors buy 19.9m of shares a few days apart.

Passion Capital also bought 11.6m from the team in Nov 17

Always good to get the opportunity to take some cash off the table when you have performed well…

1 Like