Monzo šŸ“± šŸ¦

Yes I can imagine Adam having a side gig. Iā€™d actually be surprised if he didnā€™t, or if indeed FreeTrade itself began as a side gig.

3 Likes

A healthy indicator of what? If you mean Monzo will be more healthy because of his departure,I couldnā€™t agree moreā€‹:+1::crazy_face:

Healthy indicator of hiring the right talent. Ie Monzo wouldnā€™t be where it is without him :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Which is a good thing??? I actually think you are agreeing with me in a roundabout way :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

Iā€™m definitely not :+1:t2:

4 Likes

Did Tristanā€™s business affect his job at Monzo or you are just speculating? There are companies who encourage their employees to do what they do besides their 9-5 as far as it does not interfer with their paid job.

Seems to be quite a few ex employees doing things that can be distribution partners for Monzo. If he went higher end on wine or got to be known then whats not to stop his company being able to lend so that people could buy wine. He could charge 12% or so like the rental deposit guys are planning and Monzo charge him say 3 or 4% and gets some of their deposits working. Actually with licencing problem more likely that he became a marketer of lending for buying wine

Interesting articleā€¦

6 Likes

A head of marketing at a bank with millions of customers usually isnā€™t a 9-5 role

4 Likes

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/09/monzo-to-charge-for-uk-cash-withdrawals-and-card-replacements-/

2 Likes

In my youth, when Switch/Solo cards were a thing and they had an Issue Number on the front alongside expiry dates, I went through so many lost & replacement cards that Natwest had to get IT involved (apparently) because there wasnā€™t an ā€œIssue 10ā€ and they needed to circle me back to Issue 1 for my latest replacement.

Oops. So yeah, more banks should probably do this.

2 Likes

In Japan, and soon everywhere, banks are going to have to add more than 16 digits on debt/credit cards as we are running out of new combinations.

Thoughts?

3 Likes

Always a sucker for metal cards :heart_eyes:

I unsubscribed from Plus recently because I wasnā€™t too into the benefits, donā€™t see the added features here swinging me, either

itā€™s in line with Nationwideā€™s offering. I would consider it if I had a family and went on regular holidays.

To be fair if youā€™ve got Ā£2,000 in a pot youā€™ll get back Ā£30 for the year (i.e. 2 months free Premium), making it around Ā£12.50 a month.

Decent phone insurance alone is about Ā£10 isnā€™t it? Plus the travel insuranceā€¦ doesnā€™t sound too bad.

I signed up to plus, but was going to cancel it, yet this may actually sway me to upgrade as I need the insurance!

3 Likes

The nationwide offering gives family travel insurance, breakdown cover, and phone insurance for you and your family for Ā£2 less a month.

The two offerings seem quite different

The difference is that Nationwide gives breakdown cover where Monzo goes for 1.5% interest up to Ā£2000 and up to Ā£600 free cash withdrawals in their price which is pretty good if you travel to Asia for holidays. If you get the maximum interest then itā€™s Ā£12.50pm

Massive Monzo fan and investor but Iā€™m close to cancelling my Plus because itā€™s offering is poor and this Premium offering isnā€™t exciting me either. A real shame. Every new release seems to headline with a shiny new card and then padding beneath that trying to make it seem worthwhile. Iā€™m sure there are other POVs to disagree with this but Iā€™m struggling to understand releasing a phone and travel insurance offering when weā€™re on the brink of another national lockdown and hardly anybody is travelling anyway.

2 Likes

Global travel insurance? What jokers.

They had an opportunity to launch a product that offered something different and relevant - instead theyā€™ve gone with what everyone else did pre Covid.

6 Likes