Monzo 📱 🏦

You could have just said “no idea”. Seems their strength over other branchless banks is marketing; hipsters just haven’t heard about Starling

UX and customer support are both big advantages they have over Starling, IMO.

Starling may technically have the feature “edge” with the withdrawing money abroad limits but that’s not something that the vast majority of UK users are going to ever need.

1 Like

Seems their strength over other branchless banks is marketing; hipsters just haven’t heard about Starling

Salty much? I have both Starling and Monzo. Starling is good in that it has a Euro account. Apart from that it’s inferior in everything. Monzo has better interest rates in its savings account thanks to its partnered banks. Better loans. Better (and more aesthetically pleasing) app. Better community. Better everything.

As it stands now, there’s no reason to use Starling over Monzo.

5 Likes

I guess it depends on what you want from your bank. I don’t need mine to have a personality or a community, I just need it to do what I want it to do, which in my case was to allow me to use it easily abroad without fees and to store a little emergency cash short term.

I didn’t know anything about Starling or Monzo but went for the former in the end and I will happily continue to use it.

1 Like

I don’t work at Starling so no need to be salty. Community :rofl: maybe it’s tempting for the lazy but TSB does 3% up to an amount many hipsters won’t reach 2 weeks after pay day. Similarly I would imagine most people browse around for the best mortgage deals and Monzo never makes it into the news as best value mortgage.

They don’t offer mortgages.

7 Likes

Loans*
Same with savings rates
or anything else. Some odd cult like the iPhone

not an odd cult, its just what people enjoy using the most to them. not really that deep

6 Likes

iPhone in 2019 :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes
6 Likes

This will no doubt heavily dilute those of us that invested through the crowdfunding route, unless they offer another crowdfunding round. I just don’t see it though. I think they’re probably done with crowdfunding now.

1 Like

Why do you expect that? They have almost always done crowdfunding, and it’s marketing and goodwill generation for them. Fingers crossed they do it again! I’d like the opportunity to invest.

2 Likes

From what I inferred in previous discussions over on Monzo it’s a huge undertaking for them. As they grow larger there will come a time when crowdfunding isn’t worth their time and effort.

As you say it’s great marketing, so perhaps they won’t give up on it just yet, but I don’t see them doing it forever.

1 Like

I’d be interested to see if they crowdfund some capital from america. I understand their laws are different but it may attract some buzz and buyin from early us adopters

3 Likes

I wonder how much of the Y Combinator fund was earmarked for US only, they can’t have spent it yet if it was substantial, they’ve done pretty much nothing in the US.

3 Likes

The latest round from Softbank is for the expansion too it sounds like.

1 Like

So I sorta know what’s in Plus and I still think it’s going to be pretty underwhelming.

4 Likes

What’s going to be in it? :eyes:

Sworn to secrecy!

3 Likes