My freetrade dividend journey on YouTube

Thanks dude :+1:t4: As far as tax implications Iam not sure. Good question, I assumed it was tax free up to a certain point. I’d love this question to be answered.

Junior ISAs (JISAs) are available with other platforms, just not with Freetrade at the moment.

You would be able to open 3 separate ones in their names but they would be able to get their mitts on them when they turn 18, so perhaps keeping them within your own ISA might be an idea! That said, you can only put in a max £20k in your ISA, whereas you would also be able to stick in an extra £4,368 in each JISA (also all tax free).

For info, part of my own ISA has investments I’ve put aside for my nephews and nieces but I’ve decided they won’t get the proceeds until when they turn 21.

2 Likes

Great info. That’s £20,000 PER year right? That more than large enough for their savings. Thanks for the info :+1:t4:

Yes, £20k per year for the ISA.

If you are planning to get that revenue in dividends are you just going to stop adding to your portfolio when you get close to £2000 per year? I just can’t see why you don’t have your investments in the ISA and Junior ISA’s elsewhere until/if Freetrade offer them

£2000 a year in dividends would be roughly 10 stocks with this strategy. What makes you think I would be stopping? I would repeat the process with another 10 stocks. I would love to have 30 or so stocks in the portfolio paying at least £200 a year in dividends. If not more. It’s mainly because freetrade don’t offer fractional shares so when receiving such little money there’s nothing you can do with it except put it in cash and wait until you’ve accumulated enough money to buy a particular stock. Putting my children’s savings in my isa is very handy having everything in one place in freetrade. Why would you advise against this?

Any dividends you receive over and above £2k will become taxable. If you are a basic tax rate payer, the rate you will be taxed is 7.5%; if you are a higher rate tax payer, you’ll be taxed at 32.5%.

However, if all your dividends were wrapped up in your ISA, none of it is taxable.

2 Likes

Enjoy the videos Louis.
Personally I would put the children’s stocks and my own stocks all in the ISA and have a little black book with notes on who owns what number of each stock and update the book each time you trade.
It’s less stress than having to think about tax :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Thanks Richard. I think this make the most sense. Is there an easy way to transfer my stocks or do I have to sell then rebuy them in the isa?

Pharmaceutical stocks such as AbbVie can be quite volatile - one piece of bad news ( trial failure, regulatory issues ) can send them heading south rapidly ( I’ve been stung before ).

3 Likes

A good example of this is Indivior, which dropped 70% yesterday.

I’ve found that Big ones like Astrazeneca are reasonably stable and can weather a few pieces of bad news. Look at the long term chart it’s a reasonably steady long term up slope, even during market crashes it wasn’t hit that badly. I hold it for the dividend ( which isn’t the highest in the sector but is not bad when combined with steady growth)

Hey guys I opened an investment ISA so this is my portfolio update

2 Likes

You have 77% of your portfolio in 3 stocks and most of your kids money in Tesla. :grimacing:

No offence mate but you really need to diversify more. I would suggest you be thinking 5% a stock.

Still not sure why you opened ISA either. You will never make 11,700 a year profits or growth (that’s your annual exemption for capital gains) from a 9k portfolio. So unless you have 20k every year to put away there isn’t much point. If your spouse has equal rights to the money then you’ve effectively got 40k to play with. Freetrade haven’t started juniors isas yet but they will do in future I’m sure

4 Likes

Hey thanks for the advice. I understand the importance of diversity but there’s nothing much I can do with £2-£3 dividends if I spread my £7000 portfolio around 20 stocks. Yes 20 stocks is my goal but I feel I’d be able to accomplish more with £40 plus dividends. Until freetrade offer fractional shares! Plus the 5 stocks I have are pretty solid stocks. But I do agree with if I had fractional shares available to me. Tesla are gonna be huge in the next 5-10 years so buying 7 shares in them is a no brainier. Iam gonna buy more Apple and Facebook in the future. (Growth stocks)

In answer to the isa. In 15-20 years time I do expect to be earning mor than 12k year in dividends so I think the isa was the right choice. It can’t do any harm any way :+1:t4:

1 Like

But that gives you 20 small dividends, you may not be able to buy shares in all 20 companies with the dividends but you can put them all together and buy shares in one or two

3 Likes

I have stuck £5k on freetrade basic. I have invested in 42 stocks and that includes around 4 ETF funds. Just saying…

2 Likes

Cool. Different strategy’s

3 Likes

uk dividend etf (50 stocks) alone pays over 6%, put £9,000 into that you get more diversification and an annual income of £500+

7 Likes