My Freetrade Investment Journey [Subscribe to the channel]

Yeah I agree, particularly in bearish markets. DYOR… Always!! :relaxed:

Hey Guys, Episode 4 of my Freetrade journey!

Thanks to everyone been following the journey so far. :smile:

7 Likes

Portfolio AUM growing nicely :+1:

3 Likes

Haha “AUM”… you make me sound like an Asset Manager

Thanks bud!

3 Likes

Loving these insights man, keep it up!

1 Like

Appreciate the love, Ben! Much appreciated… next update should come soon.

1 Like

Lovely 50% loss to start the week.

Enjoy!

3 Likes

Hi Guys,

New update to my portfolio journey, added 3 new stocks, and my first 2 US stocks.

All feedback welcome. :slight_smile:

Please subscribe to the channel if you haven’t.

5 Likes

Hey,

Latest portfolio update - sold one of the stocks, and I’m waiting for a Dividend that should’ve been paid today cough *Freetrade cough :pensive:

Enjoy!

3 Likes

What’s the bet now? :fire:

I enjoy these videos because I’m doing something similar with my portfolio.

However, playing devil’s advocate a little, your holdings don’t seem to be particularly diverse.

For example, two life insurance companies make up about 30% of your portfolio.

Add the three banks and you have attributed a massive weight to the financial sector.

Similarly, you hold two housebuilders which seems like overkill to me.

I was glad to see you look to add telecommunications and utilities though.

One glaring omission is the oil and gas sector, would it not be prudent to include BP or RDSB?

Personally, I’d also add one of the big household goods companies such as ULVR, a pharma/biotech group such as GSK and a wider mining company such as RIO.

I’m all for doubling up on one or two sectors, but I’ll be trying to cover the majority in equal weight first. That way, I’ll be protected should one sector take a nosedive.

Anyway, it’s just my two pennies’ worth. Keep up the good work with the videos!

1 Like

Hey mate!

You’re pennies are most certainly welcome.

I think at the time I started (where I was really new to investing) I just chose ones I felt had the highest growth potential. Its still my main goal over dividends and diversification if i’m honest.

A few sectors seemed stronger at the time so I doubled/tripled on them.

5 months in, and seeing what currency changes, brexit, trade deals etc can do to some industries, particularly housebuilding and banking, I would agree with you that I’m slightly over exposed. The growth outlook on some of them have also dropped.

If I do change, I’ll probably look to add more US stocks and ETFs to the portfolio. RDSB doesn’t seem like a bad shout however.

Definitely appreciate the feedback!

C.

1 Like

No worries. It’s an interesting approach to focus on screening stocks for capital growth within what is essentially a high-yield portfolio.

For me though, the most important factors in such a portfolio are size of company, yield, dividend cover, dividend growth record, debt levels and diversification.

If you’re going the growth route, would it not be better to ignore yield to a certain extent?

Personally, once I’ve got a sizeable high-yield portfolio up and running, I’ll be looking to build a satellite portfolio that focuses on capital growth.

As I say, I do very much enjoy your videos, so keep ‘em coming!

1 Like

Yes maybe its ambitious, and perhaps a tiny bit conflicted lol.

Essentially, yield is a secondary factor for me - As an example I bought FSLR recently which is projected high growth but doesn’t pay a dividend.

I think my next acquisitions will be of a similar vein to what you mentioned, ignore yield (ish) and get behind growth a bit more aggressively.

Saying that, as I’m new, in order to not be too aggressive and protect against losses, getting a bit of a dividend feels right at this stage.

I think your questions a good one, and something I need to really consider strongly on whether I need to redefine my approach/goals.

Thanks for the feedback - keep the advice coming!

C.

1 Like

Customs Union with Mr Corbyn…Soft Brexit basically.

Hey Guys

My latest portfolio update - if you can hear a duvet - yes I’m in bed! Soz.

All feedback welcome! :smiley:

C.

4 Likes

Hey,

Portfolio Update [Ep.9] - Hope you enjoy, and feedback always welcome!

C.

2 Likes

Enjoy the videos Curtis !
Really important point re dividends turning up. I’m sure freetrade are working on it. I need to have every faith that dividends will be paid into my account as I cannot keep track and to a certain extent do not want to keep track as I am buying and holding investment trusts and etf’s only.
I hope in the not to distant future we will be able to see all the information on dividends received.

3 Likes

I’m not going to comment on this specific situation (or other issues that’re related to a specific customer) here but we have explained why dividend payments get delayed before here & here. We will of course make the payment as soon as we’ve received the money & the length of time that takes can vary from payment to payment.

If anyone believes that they should have received a payment but hasn’t, please contact our support team & they’ll be happy to check on that for you.

5 Likes

@Freetrade_Team1 Thanks for the response :smile:

Customer service have always handled it and then I’ve received my dividend post the conversation. I will attest to that! They’ve been good.

But my question is more, say I forget or am unaware that I’m owed a dividend - is it guaranteed by Freetrade I’ll always receive even If I don’t message or realise?

I only realised this time as I have 2 back up tools that tell me - but the free one didn’t because the date elapsed, and if I stopped using the paid one I wouldn’t have known

2 Likes