Neil Woodford's fund

I might be the only one crazy to think, I should buy some. He’s going to rebalance the portfolio to less volatile assets. Ideal scenario, trading resumes, fund drops 5-10% more. Then hopefully I can pick up some.

2 Likes

I believe that if the fund was an investment trust instead, then this issue would not have occurred. The most that would have happened is that the share price would have fallen considerably (I guess that’s not a much better result for an investor though).

The problem is that the Woodfood fund would need to sell assets in order to pay the requested redemption’s - which is not easy for that high a withdrawal. They may have anticipated this issue, as a few months ago some of the less liquid investments were moved into the Woodford Patient Capital Investment Trust and the Fund took shares in the IT in return.

2 Likes

Entirely agree. If the fund was an investment trust it is closed ended i.e., the capital can not be withdrawn. Holders of shares can sell to one another holder but the fund remains the same size (subject to the value of its holdings moving up and down). Now, however, there is a contagion effect from the open ended fund to the closed ended trust as (I) the business and Woodford’s brand are challenged and (ii) there is a high degree of cross holding between the two funds so a forced seller (the open ended fund) is likely to bring down the valuation of the holdings. This morning the trust looks like it is opening well down which could increase the discount to NAV (the discount the shares traded to the last mark to market value of the assets) from about 15 (longer term average has been about 12) to something closer to 30%.If you like the underlying investments and have a long time horizon this could be interesting. I don’t know much about his private equity type holdings but I believe the information is out there and this may be the only way to access many of them.

edit: note the open ended fund also owns some shares in the investment trust from the transfer of some illiquid assets earlier this year.

3 Likes

Agreed - it’s also compounded by the requirement to keep his illiquid holdings in his Equity Income Fund below 10% (it is around 14% currently) in order to actually qualify as an Equity Income Fund. With redemptions he’s has to sell his positions, if he only sells his public equity holdings the % will increase in private equity, if he sells private equity quickly he will likely be selling below fair value. He’s stuck, hence the block on withdrawals!

3 Likes

I jumped on the Woodford bandwagon in 2014 and invested when the price opened at £1
 Exited in 2018 when they were around £1.34 as I was switching my funds to tracker ETFs, so I guess I was just fortunate.

Still tempted to chuck the odd quid at WPCT.

Relevant piece today. Might dip in tbh
https://citywire.co.uk/funds-insider/news/patient-capital-shares-plunge-11-on-woodford-fund-suspension/a1235262

If this goes any lower I might get involved for a speculative few shares

This is a really good summary of what’s happened & a nice introduction to Neil Woodford, for anyone who doesn’t know the backstory here.

also

2 Likes

Good read, thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like the backlash against Hargreaves has begun

Google “ If Woodford is a fallen superstar then Hargreaves was his agent” to avoid the paywall

Also

Again google the title if you can’t get the link to work

3 Likes

Neil Woodford explains why the fund suspended trading:

3 Likes

He should have made these comments sooner in my opinion.

1 Like

Patient Capital has just dropped a lot down 7% since 4pm (25 mins ago), 20% discount to NAV.

Been looking at this but wary of catching falling knives :see_no_evil:

Yeah I’m not making a recommendation either way haha :slight_smile: thinks it’s linked to SJP removing their mandate

Woodford Patient Capital has some good holdings but everyday we get a new story documenting some Woodford fund falling. If it keeps going like this then it might be better for them to start dissociating WPCT from Neil Woodford. Unfortunately everything is built around Neil, so if he’s seen as having the Midas touch then it’s all good, but any downturn and then everything is blown out of proportion, even though they have a team of people working on the investment side.

The FT called this a “devastating blow” :grimacing:

also

1 Like

Does anyone know how Kent County Council would go about purchasing ÂŁ250 million odd worth of units in the fund ?
Would they be protected only up to ÂŁ85,000 if their broker went bust or is it completely different ?

It’s a big blow to him and his company for sure, £3.5bn is a lot of money to be taking a fee from. This wouldn’t effect his Equity income fund (the one available on HL) however.

1 Like