New account - nationality question

Good afternoon,

I would like to open a new account and start investing long term, the thing is I’m polish, but I’ve been living in the UK for a nearly 10 years.

My question is:
What form of identification shall I pick when asked?

National insurance number or PESEL (which is basically a polish equivalent of nin)

Thank you
Mariusz

Pretty sure at the moment you need a UK NI number, at least until they expand to Poland.

2 Likes

Thank you for the fast reply. I was going to go with NIN as I work and live here. The thing is I don’t have a British citizenship yet and it clearly says ‘nationality’ when you try to open the account.

What I’m going to do is open it with my national insurance number and then make sure with someone from freetrade that’s alright.

Thanks again :+1:

Good Luck with your investment journey and great to have you on board :crossed_fingers:t3:

4 Likes

I think there are a lot of users with other nationalities, not least the management. As long as you are paying tax in the UK that’s probably the main caveat at the moment given the ISA etc.

1 Like

Hi Marius

I have come across the same issue when I tried to register recently. My understanding is that the NIN needs to be provided for the tax reason. The problem is that as a Polish citizen I can provide only pesel which in my opinion does not make any sense because I have been in UK for as long as you and I don’t even pay taxes in Poland. Could you please advise me on what you did and if that was within the rules.

Hi Marius

I have come across the same issue when I tried to register recently. My understanding is that the NIN needs to be provided for the tax reason. The problem is that as a Polish citizen I can provide only pesel which in my opinion does not make any sense because I have been in UK for as long as you and I don’t even pay taxes in Poland. Could you please advise me on what you did and if that was within the rules.