Advanced Micro Devices šŸ’» - AMD

What did everyone think about E3 announcements? I think Navi is more or less what I expected, but Zen 2 looks like it is going to crush i5-i9 if performance and price is delivered.

1 Like

AMD is on the rise, how many people have bought shares?

Nothing interesting for me coming out of E3 for AMD. Already expected them to tie up the next gen consoles.

Only interesting news I got from E3 was Cyberpunk 2077 is due out in April 2020, which is earlier than I expected. I might go in again with CDR.

1 Like

Would people invest today in AMD?

I got some at the beginning of April, Nearly 30% up. Happy with that :smiley:

1 Like

A good return, I was kicking myself at missing out! I think just like the Qualcomm it will rise sharply, then come down again.

No, Qualcomm is going up and down due to anti-trust/court cases. Not really an AMD concern.

So you think AMD is now on the rise for the foreseeable future?

Thatā€™s a very expensive stock! I canā€™t help but think that Nvidia at a PE of 28 is a better investment, particularly at this stage in the business cycle

Thereā€™s a couple of big pieces of news that have driven it up. Microsoft are going to put AMD chips in XBoxes, and the word is that the new Ryzen chips are far superior to Intel crop of CPUā€™s

However investors know all this now and there may be a bit of over exuberance in the current share price

1 Like

Iā€™ve sold my shares today, I might buy them back if they drop back a bit.

I think given what Iā€™ve seen from investor sentiment weā€™re going to have a minor sell-off here. The combination of Stadia, consoles, server, zen 2 and Navi - all the good news is already here. Maybe if there is some bad news for $NVDA, and central banks continue to appease markets I can see it approaching all time highs at ~ $45 but its unlikely (ignoring Intel as, well, can you get any worse?).

Iā€™m quite bearish on NVDIA though, purely on a gaming market share basis: everything from AMDā€™s open source and soon to be cross platform ray-tracing standard to Intel entering the market in a few years points to lower revenues. If you think autonomy and big data is the future then I guess its a good buy.

This is interesting thank you. What about chips and their use in autonomous cars? I gather Nvidia are ahead on this, or at least are very competitive. My point I suppose is chips are used in more than just gaming, but I donā€™t know where volumes or profits will flow from.

2 Likes

Iā€™m just interested in other peopleā€™s thoughts on this @ $33 now we have Q2 results coming up, Zen 2/Navi, Stadia deploying Q3ish and server revenue yet to be realised.

From what Iā€™ve seen a lot of people seem to think the market has already priced in 2019 EPS. A few others seem to suggest 2020 EPS hasnā€™t, or that AMD may beat expectations.

Consensus forward EPS is currently 0.91, thats produces an intriguing PE of 36.4, slightly higher than NVIDIAā€™s trailing, but much higher than Intelā€™s forward PE of 9 - clearly the market is pricing in the swallowing of Intelā€™s market share.

Whatā€™s everyoneā€™s thoughts on the Zen and Navi launches btw!

AMD valuation looks stretched @ c.70x EV/EBITDA. Is it possible that the growth opportunities youā€™ve outlined are already priced in?

1 Like

You need CPUs and GPUs. The latter is more specialized and with the rise of machine learning since 2012, GPUs (or TPUs and IPUs such as those by Google Cloud and Graphcore) are getting more customized for matrix-on-matrix multiplications for AI research and applications (see NVidiaā€™s lineup for non-gamers).

The chip market has a lot of competition. Apple make their own, Google make their own TPUs, Tesla is making their own (moving away from NVidia), for example. And AMD are still nowhere near in the lucrative deep learning (ā€œAIā€) marketā€”think data centers for cloud providersā€”compared with NVidia and its CUDA tech. Getting software languages in general to talk to specialized hardware via compilers is not easy.

P.S. The AGI startup OpenAI used CPUs and GPUs to train the agent to play Dota 2 video game at a super human levelā€”scaling the hardware was key to their performance:

(from their August 2018 blog where GCPā€”Google Cloud):

1 Like

AMD lowers guidance, down 8% today.

Iā€™m still in long term. Was a bit wary after the price cutting with Nvidiaā€™s ā€œsuperā€ range.

Iā€™m riding this out as well :smiley: the console launches later this year, and the fact that AMD market is booming in Asia looks promising

Holding on for dear life here! Joking aside, my appetite for risk is pretty high right now, so will ride it out. If my portfolio was bigger, Iā€™d be a bit more concerned

I agree with that. But I think one potential advantage of AMD is that it is a more diversified business than f.e. NVIDIA. Yes, Nvidia has more market share in the GPU market, but AMD is currently beating Intel in the CPU market in terms of technology which should/might provide an increased cash flow to compete with NVIDIA in the long run.