Amarin (AMRN)

Biotech Stock Amarin (AMRN)

The Company is engaged in the research, development and commercialization of novel drugs for the treatment of central nervous system disorders.

Their lead drug Vascepa, a purified fish oil derivative, was approved by the FDA all the way back in 2012 to treat patients with severe hypertriglyceridemia (SHTG). But it’s not Vascepa’s potential in treating SHTG patients that’s got Wall Street excited. Rather, it’s a supplemental new drug application stemming from a five-year Harvard study in 8,179 people with milder (but still high) triglyceride levels. The results showed that the aggregate risk of heart attack, stroke, and death in these patients by 25%. In other words, if Vascepa were to be approved for an expanded label indication to reduce the risk of major adverse cardiovascular events, its potential pool of patients could grow tenfold, as would its sales potential.

I hold Amarin already but would be great to see on the app I’m up already on it and I’ll talk a look again at it in 2020

I invested due to the SHTG drug also.

1 Like

Which platform did you use to buy Amarin?

DeGiro. €0.82 was the price I had to pay on top for 10 shares not sure what you’d pay in pounds. Around £0.75/£0.80 I’d imagine.

Up 17% today at the moment

1 Like

Hoping for another pop today having got further FDA approval. Trading was halted most of yesterday I believe.

If approved by the FDA by the 28 December action date – as now seems likely – the new label could hike the number of patients eligible for treatment with Vascepa from around 600,000 to as many as 10 million, and catapult the drug into multibillion-dollar territory.

Yes please!

1 Like

Up 11.77% yesterday. I’m now up a total of 58% on this stock. Biotechs really pay off if you back the right one

Very True, but this stock was begging for high growth. It’s a shame it’s not available at the time where we could Xfold our investment.

Its bullish theory is yet to come, hold tight :+1:

Don’t worry I won’t be selling. They’re on such a good run that I think they’ll be bought out. Bristol-Myers is one of my largest holdings, I’d love if they buy Amarin.

My aunt works in biotech VC I should really get some names off her that could soar. I’ll add them to the stocks request in the future hopefully

1 Like

Interesting, I read an article about Bristol-Myers possibly buying one of their partners Exelixis for CheckMate 9ER. Not sure about the sources as I just make small notes for my watch list.

They bought celgene earlier in the year and are set to merge soon

https://www.investors.com/news/technology/bristol-myers-squibb-wrap-celgene-merger-wednesday/

Edit: @Zylan are Bristol-Myers on Freetrade? I’ll have to make a request if not

1 Like

Yes, Bristol-Myers is available on Freetrade

2 Likes

Up 5% today to bring my total gains on this stock to 53%. It would have been my Q1 pick for the league had it not had such a gain in the past month and a bit

1 Like

Amarin available on Trading212 now. Enjoy!

4 Likes

Yeah, I re-requested Amarin on Trading212 community, this request was only few hours back and it got answered :joy:. Hope invest by Freetrade platform hits out soon and stock request gets easier and quicker.

4 Likes

It’s in a lot of journalist/analyst’s top to watch for 2020. FT should definitely have this!

3 Likes

Purchased few yesterday @ T212. Now hopping for a big jump.
Screenshot_20191219-105337_Trading 212

4 Likes

Jesus I only own 10 haha. Fair fucks to you. Amarin :muscle:

1 Like

Found out today that they funnel a lot of their profits through Ireland. Happy days 12.5% corporate tax rate

Edit: thank you to the community for putting a few votes on this. It was only really myself and zylan on this. I try to vote for every request if they’re not a us based etf :joy:

Also if you request a stock please vote for your own stock. How are FT ever gonna add it if you haven’t voted for your own request :man_shrugging: Not a dig at you @Zylan at all but I see it on other threads

4 Likes

:crossed_fingers:

In the wake of the US approval, Amarin raised its forecast for 2020 sales to somewhere between $650 million and $700 million. That compares to sales of $229 million in 2018

The Irish-headquartered business has already settled similar claims with Teva, one of the largest generics producers, in a move that is likely to block the introduction of generic competition by Teva for Vascepa till 2029. That would give the business a clear nine-year run to establish its product and maximise sales.

2 Likes