Amazon - AMZN - Share Chat

603px-Amazon_logo_plain

Amazon.com, Inc., doing business as Amazon, is an American electronic commerce and cloud computing company based in Seattle, Washington, that was founded by Jeff Bezos on July 5, 1994.

Amazon (company) - Wikipedia

www.google.co.uk/finance?q=NASDAQ:AMZN

1 Like

Hopefully you’ll add soon, because later will be too late :smiley:

I vote for this above all else

We’ve now launched US stocks which means that Amazon is included in our Stock Universe :boom: it’s been one of our most popular stocks since the launch so we wrote a blog post with a summary of how the year ahead looks for them.

Feel free to create a new #investing-and-markets topic or get involved in the discussion in one of the existing topics & share your thoughts about Amazon’s future with the community :speech_balloon:

Continuing the discussion from Who is likeliest to reach $1trillion market cap 1st? :money_with_wings:: where Amazon is leading the charge, here is the best curated video I’ve come across that explains Amazon 101:

7 Likes

Will Amazon continue to rise?

I’m a complete n00b when it comes to stocks and shares but I’ve been waiting for Freetrade to launch to buy Amazon shares

It continues to rise and rise!

2 Likes

AMZN has a huge potential long-term. Their eCommerce is rising across the globe, their pharmacy venture is already dipping healthcare companies, they dipped UPS and FedEx by 25% when announced their own delivery service, they have just dipped Cisco by 5% on speculation to enter Networking.

And the juiciest part here is AWS. It is one of the most scalable services created by humans (also one would argue if Bezos is one), it is a huge fixed cost machine that benefits a lot from growth, which worked perfectly well having Amazon Commerce their core client. Imagine adding all other ventures to it - pure cost savings that will inevitably lead to better margins (for the conglomerate overall).

Although I personally have no doubts it will be on $10,000 (that is hope to an extent) per share by 2030, they still may have issues in the short run (Chinese Trade War, Trump’s tweets [being the minor issue], new ventures going through establishment process which can be painful and not always well thought of).

If you want to buy it, a few months will make no difference in the long run, I would not even think a year or two will. Just make sure you do not impulsively buy it based on some random forum guys’ praises, they are always subjective.

5 Likes

:joy:

5 Likes

Thanks for the reply :raised_hands:

I’ve just been watching the video in the OP and had no idea the amount of services they offer

2 Likes

If we only knew all the services Disney offers… And yet being valued less than Netflix. God bless ESPN and the Disney’s licences that will be revoked from Netflix in 2019 :roll_eyes:

Edit: although Hulu could also be the successor, it is not quite clear yet, but anyway, all of the Disney’s content is coming home

An education! I suppose the difference is what that video was saying around scalability and profit?

1 Like

Profit does not seem to be as important in stocks like Amazon and tech, in comparison to rapid growth and market dominance.

Some people may argue that Tesla is far too overpriced, more expensive than VW, GM and Ford, but their revenues grow 50 to 100 per cent YoY, whereas the others stagnate at 3 to 10.

I guess same applies to Amazon, 10 to 30 per cent when you are already beyond 100bn - that is admirable, and that is what makes people want to be in that boat (well, at least that is how I was swallowed)

4 Likes

Interesting stuff. I’ve much to learn!

1 Like

Very interesting analysis here. One limiting factor I can see for Amazon is whether they can maintain emerging markets growth vs homegrown competitors.

Also read this interesting piece on leasing servers for AWS and whether that was artificially pumping up apparent famed Amazon cash flow. Might be out of date though.

That said, they’re clearly a very cool company and a great investment for its backers so far.

Without encouraging any particular investment(lol), I do concur with @Vlad on quality of Disney. They arguably have the best IP in the world.

4 Likes

AWS is huge but worth bearing in mind Google / MicroSoft are getting more aggressive in competing with AWS. Google Cloud have SNAP for like $400m per/year. If Google Cloud gets its act together with tech support then they might really dent AWS.

5 Likes

A slightly different angle from the WSJ on Amazon and it’s peers. Paywalled i’m afraid…

3 Likes

:chart_with_upwards_trend:

3 Likes

It looks like Amazon’s about to casually remove a significant chunk of UPS’s revenue :eyes: & save themselves some money in the process. I’m slightly envious of US customers now, I’m sure their parcel tracking / delivery experience is about to get much better.

https://twitter.com/davehclark/status/1037431111733915648

5 Likes

That’s a hell of a statement from Amazon.

1 Like