[On :Freetrade:] Astrazeneca (AZN) 💉 💊

Bad news. Stocks not moved though.

https://www.cityam.com/astrazeneca-takes-100m-hit-on-failed-heart-disease-drug-tests/

AZN is my largest holding… so I’m glad it hasn’t moved yet…
That said if the price does go down it will simply be an opportunity to load up on some for me.

These big pharma companies have multiple failed drugs with a few successes. Of course the later it fails during development the more expensive it is. Developing drugs is an expensive business.

AZN is one of my biggest holdings and has done well for me in the past with reasonable dividends and share price growth. I’m happy to keep holding

1 Like

The successful drugs that they earn billions from allow them to take risks and lose millions on other drugs. It’s very much the nature of the pharma industry that they will fail a lot.

AZN appear to have a proven track record, though, and with the population aging all the time, there will always be a market for people who need their various drugs, so I think they’re a good enough long-term hold. If the price does dip, I’ll be buying more shares also.

4 Likes

AZN is holding firmly in the current climate and not budging below £60.

AstraZeneca announed it could produce and distribute 2 billion doses of Oxford University’s potential Covid vaccine. It’s signing agreements with the Serum Institute of India, as well as a $750m deal with two health institutions.

Those £60 prices seem good to me now. We are around all-time high at £85.

I keep looking at pharma and biotech, but I just don’t seem to time my research right.

They’ve said they’ll make vaccine “globally available at no profit”. what this actually means in practice I don’t know. I doubt they are doing it for free. Maybe it means making it available in poorer countries at cost?

1 Like

Probably funded in some parts by WHO/UN I’d imagine. Or donations from richer countries.

Read an article that said they’re making it available at cost.

Correct.

(CEO) said AstraZeneca would not seek to make a profit from producing the drug during the pandemic.

the company was building a number of supply chains across the world “to support global access at no profit during the pandemic and has so far secured manufacturing capacity for two billion doses of the vaccine”.

Meanwhile, the biggest ever pharma merger (£200b) possible, if reports are accurate:

Should be noted that they won’t be making a profit on the vaccine until the pademic is over.

1 Like

AZN up today on potentially positive vaccine news https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-oxford-vaccine-itv/positive-news-on-oxford-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-could-come-on-thursday-itv-idUSKCN24G1BD