Burberry šŸ§„ - BRBY

In accordance with IAS 2, which is an International Accounting Standard for inventory (thatā€™s my accounting degree speaking here if I remember that one correctly), when you write inventory off, it must be valued and reported at the cost of production.

However, I would not think that BBC cares for it, they need drama and Ā£28m is a huge figure if represents cost. I am very much inclined to say they mean the sales value of the products, jsut as @anon2636484 has also indicated.

4 Likes

@saf, a welcome return to the Angela Ahrendts days to refocus the companyā€™s brand proposition perhaps? I am with you, it would be hard to justify a sell off based on a commercial decision seeking to improve overall company performance. Though if you have a strong position on the ethical implications of waste and overconsumption @Freetrade_Team, then I can see why you might want to offload.

A greater concern for me would be a significant slow down in their growth markets stemming from the insanity of a looming trade war. Though could make for a good opportunity to buy in.

2 Likes

@vlad / @anon2636484 the 28.6m figure is from their Annual Report:

The cost of finished goods physically destroyed in the year was Ā£28.6m (2017: Ā£26.9m), including Ā£10.4m of destruction for Beauty inventory.

1 Like

Thanks so is that at cost or the retail price?

1 Like

Shall we get Burberry out of the rollout, please?

3 Likes

Done :slight_smile:

1 Like

Seems like the actual cost of production, which means the retail value would be much more. Well, at least they are compliant with the reporting standards!

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Think itā€™s cost value, as in their 200 page Annual Report itā€™s noted under the Inventories section, and under ā€˜Accounting policiesā€™ it says:

Inventories are stated at the lower of cost and net realisable value. Cost consists of all costs of purchase, costs of conversion, design costs and other costs incurred in bringing the inventories to their present location and condition.

3 Likes

What was your investment thesis when you bought it? ie has recent news changed the outlook for that thesis?

2 Likes

An interesting brand with global exposure and high quality design IP. Guess that hasnā€™t changed, but my issue was really the sheer wastefulness of the company.

3 Likes

Good news:

• Theyā€™ll stop burning unsold goods, with immediate effect
  • In the future they will no longer use rabbit, fox, mink and Asiatic racoon fur in their collections

Source: Burberry stops burning unsold goods and using real fur

8 Likes

Retail sales fell 45% due to lockdown. Wholesale sales down around 50%. They also expect second quarter to be impacted.

1 Like

Is luxury back in fasion?

Hereā€™s @DavidK diving into the world of personal luxury goods :handbag:

Capital at risk

:wave:

Hereā€™s a piece about Burberryā€™s latest financials and its next pivot. The chameleon of high fashion is about to change again.

ā€œGiven that Burberryā€™s largest target market is in China, it is facing similar conditions to that of its competitors at LVMH in 2017 as it grows out of a Covid environment. Therefore, I am expecting the Supreme collaboration to do the Burberry sales figures wonders.ā€

1 Like

Morning everyone,

I am interested in investing in the luxury clothing/perfume/ ā€œgoĆ»t de luxeā€ sector (including buying Burberry shares).
Please, would you know any other Luxury linked brands, funds, ETF or else/similar i could invest in?
Take your time:) and thanks in advance.

Hereā€™s a take on luxury retailers (Burberry, in particular) and whether theyā€™re a hedge during times of inflation Is luxury a hedge against inflation? :eyes:

2 Likes

Burberryā€˜s latest half-year results resonated well with investors. Consequently, the Burberry share price hit its highest level this year at Ā£21. Having said that, Iā€™ll be giving my initial take on its earnings and whether its stock has hit a peak.

Anyone of the opinion that this has further upside potential, or has that already been priced in at current levels?

1 Like

Thank you.

1 Like

This Stock is a buy and hold price goes up and down has been as high as Ā£26.41 around a year ago, like I said it has a tendency to fluctuate and in my Opinion itā€™s a Buy, Hold and Add to Stock purchase. This feed is very quiet Nov 22 last post there must be others on here donā€™t be shy this Freetrade crowd donā€™t bite as far as I know anyway a good Xmas to one and allšŸ‘