Greencoat UK 💨 - UKW

I have to admit, being new to this I’m not entirely sure how the fees work. I see the ongoing charges are 0.3000% and transaction costs 0.1400%. Could someone explain to me exactly how these work. Is it the ongoing charges that are the problem?

1 Like

I hold both TRIG and UKW.

As they represent only a fraction of my overall portfolio, I don’t really mind that they are both trading on ridiculous premiums or charge higher than normal fees.

I just know that I want renewables and wind farm investments in my portfolio and that if I don’t invest now, I’d probably never invest.

Looking to hold long term.

1 Like

Is the charge only on an increase or is it overall? For example if the value of your investment rises £100 do they charge a percentage of that or is there a charge regardless in which case if there was no rise in value you would be losing money from the charges?

Also, the examples of 0.300% on going charges from the freetrade app don’t seem particularly high compared to others, are these figures wrong as someone mentioned above in the thread?

Sorry for the newbie questions. I am also quite keen to have renewable energy somewhere in my portfolio but I want to make sure I know what I’m doing first.

It’s an ongoing charge, regardless of performance.

1 Like

Story behind today’s fall:

https://quoteddata.com/2020/09/greencoat-uk-wind-launches-fundraise/

4 Likes

Thanks! Still somewhat new to this but I’ve had a look at the RNS on Greencoat website as well and it’s not clear to me how one can subscribe for the new shares being issued, does anyone know?

Is there a minimum subscription amount? I’m assuming this will not be possible via Freetrade?

Will possibly receive a notification about it, but be aware that a minimum of £1000 worth of the new shares is required. See bottom of p6 of this document: UKW Share issuance Programme.

2 Likes

I had been buying in UKW for a while but sold to get shares in another clean energy company that had better growth prospects. The dividend is ok but I am happy that I did not hold on to my shares or I would have made a sizeable loss that the dividend cannot make up for.

The Renewables Infrastructure Group - TRIG?

Greencoat UK Wind PLC (LON:UKW) has agreed to acquire a 49% stake in the Humber Gateway offshore wind farm as part of a consortium with several pension funds

3 Likes

I too am perplexed about how this works within Freetrade.

When Freetrade shows a guesstimate of dividend yield, does this figure not include charges and therefore say 5% should really be 4% if there’s a 1% charge

Or is it factored in
Or is it catered for somewhere else

https://otp.tools.investis.com/clients/uk/greencoat/rns/regulatory-story.aspx?newsid=1436442&cid=2184
They completed their Humber Gateway purchase

The ongoing charge of UKW (and trusts in general) are generally taken from income generated as i understand it.

The dividend doesn’t include any charges. its a % against the share price that you receive. 5.43%, i suppose if they took no charge and passed it on it would be 6.5% but its not a yield with costs calculated in as those costs are all before that, that’s just the yield.

ongoing charge info for reference

3 Likes

How do dividends get paid via this app from Greencoat? Thanks!

You’ll get a notification and cash in your app.

1 Like

Seen this as a new share holder! And only recently bought others shares in companies that pay out dividends but haven’t had any payout yet. So does freetrade put them into your bank account or into your withdrawable cash? Or do you have to contact the company directly? For all dividends not just greencoat?
Many thanks :heartpulse:

It will just show up as cash in your app and you can withdraw or invest it, or do nothing with it.

1 Like

Thank you for that information :+1:t2: say it was 5% is that 5% of what I invested or of the company’s profits :thinking:

They don’t actually base this on percentages. They pay out a set amount. Say the company pays 5p per year in dividends and the current share price is £1, this would give you a dividend yield of 5%. But this changes every second with the change in stock prices.
If the stock price rises to £2, then you buy, the dividend stays the same, the yield is only 2.5%.

3 Likes

So it really is a wait and see game with the total amount of dividend paid by company! :+1:t2: Thank you seb for sharing.

You can usually google the amounts. It’s paid out quarterly or semi-annually depending on the stock/fund. No worries!

1 Like