iShares Global Clean Energy ETF - INRG

Plenty of non-U.S. focus in the top holdings here.

Notable companies for me:

• Vestas Wind Systems: Danish wind turbine company.
  • Siemens Gamesa Renewable: Siemens’s Spanish wind turbine firm.
  • Xinyi Solar: Hong Kong-listed solar glass manufacturing company (looks like it’s similarly structured to our investment trust companies like Renewables Infrastructure, but I’d have to read more).
  • Verbund AG, Austria’s largest electricity provider. It gets 90% of its electricity from hydro.

More than 56% of the market value of the fund comes from non-U.S. companies.

Ticker ISIN Name Name of Issuer Sector Market Value Weight (%)
ENPH US29355A1079 ENPHASE ENERGY INC Information Technology USD 64,262,703.30 8.57
SEDG US83417M1045 SOLAREDGE TECHNOLOGIES INC Information Technology USD 49,186,718.00 6.56
VWS DK0010268606 VESTAS WIND SYSTEMS Industrials USD 43,914,376.10 5.85
SGRE ES0143416115 SIEMENS GAMESA RENEWABLE ENERGY SA Industrials USD 43,280,919.08 5.77
968 KYG9829N1025 XINYI SOLAR HOLDINGS LTD Information Technology USD 41,778,576.23 5.57
PEGI US70338P1003 PATTERN ENERGY GROUP INC CLASS A Utilities USD 33,163,953.12 4.42
VER AT0000746409 VERBUND AG Utilities USD 31,185,497.51 4.16
ORA US6866881021 ORMAT TECH INC Utilities USD 31,174,877.70 4.16
CIG US2044096012 COMPANHIA ENERGETICA MINAS GERAIS Utilities USD 30,833,310.74 4.11
4 Likes

I think there is also a disjoin between federal policy in the USA and inidividual states eg California. So it is more than feasible for US companies to do very well in some states despite the scepticism of the current White House incumbent.

3 Likes

This ETF has really shot up in the last week and YTD is now in the top 3 performing ETFS. It’s also leading the pack since April

1 Like

This ETF is up 27% this month :tada::tada:
I don’t know why but I’m loving it

2 Likes

I’m up over 70% in the last 12 months! It’s a cracking ETF.

1 Like

Take a look at the details on the ETF page and it will give you a better understanding of the underlying companies and how it’s performing

This is basically tracking improving odds of significant democrat gains in the US election.

I think the US election has catalysed gains in the last month but it doesn’t explain the positive performance prior to September. Solar power is growing quite fast in the US and China

I think a lot of the performance before then is linked to the EV hype that was tearing through markets which also dragged up green energy and relevant commodities.

1 Like

Source: https://www.ishares.com/uk/individual/en/products/251911/ishares-global-clean-energy-ucits-etf?switchLocale=y&siteEntryPassthrough=true

I like this ETF a lot because of its sector and its potential but I’m wondering how the impact of the drop in value/relevance of £GBP will affect it? (Just my personal belief - and I want to make lemonade anything I can out of Brexit lemons)

I confess I don’t know a lot about ETFs (or investing) in general but I worry that it will be more expensive for the fund to buy stocks priced in USD - that said I don’t even know which currency this ETF predominantly uses. I’ve seen that it’s is also available to buy in EUR and USD and was wondering if there was any advantage for me buying and holding it in them instead?

1 Like

It doesn’t really matter what currency the ETF/fund is denominated in, what matters is the assets it holds.

If the value of GBP falls 1% then the value of INRG will increase by (approximately) 1%. That is so the value of it’s assets is unchanged, but it’s worth more £.

If INRG had a lot of UK exposure then it’s value could be influenced by a falling £, but that isn’t really the case here.

4 Likes

And also if you are buying new units of the etf; £1000 will get you $1310 worth of units now, but if the value falls your purchasing power of new units will also fall, e.g your £1000 will buy $1250 worth of INRG.

1 Like

I was told to wait after the US elections to buy into this ETF - but it seems to keep going up. What do you think? When is best to buy this one or do you recommend another?

Now you see that whoever told you this was wrong and you shouldn’t listen to him or others when they recommend something. You have to do your own research, not ask others for tips. :+1:

Unfortunately, nobody here knows how markets will evolve. :smile: Always do your own research.

1 Like

A simple way to enter an investment is to buy into the investment in stages, i.e.

If you want to deploy £1000 into an etf that you like but are unsure when to begin, some opt to invest £333 monthly until the £1000 is all in.

Or

£200 monthly until the £1000 is all in…

Or

£100 weekly until the £1000 is all in…

Obviously it is not wise to invest a large chunk into something that has already rallied hugely in a short amount of time.

2 Likes

Thank you that makes a lot of sense

Thanks!

Unless it is as important as dot coms :smiley:

New to investing and finding my feet but could anyone help explain something to me…
The Global Clean Energy ETF went sailing up last week but is now crashing back down - as much as 5.78% today. The stocks it holds seem to be remaining steady so I do not really understand why it has lost nearly £1.50 in a week. Is this part of how ETFs work and is it likely to bounce back? Also it seems to fall daily when the US market opens - does this always happen? Finally why is there such a delay in the price being displayed - normally around 20 minutes?
Any help/advice much appreciated.

The etf has had a good run the past year and there are some profit taking and slight wobbles due to the obvious times we are in.

The global clean energy etf is like, a buy and hold for 10+ years. Wouldn’t worry at all about volatility if you believe clean energy is profitable in the future decades.

2 Likes