Murray International Trust Plc - MYI

The objective of this investment trust is to achieve a total return greater than its benchmark by investing predominantly in equities worldwide. Within this objective the Manager will seek to increase the revenues of the company in order to maintain an above average dividend yield.

Current dividend yield: 4.17%

http://www.murray-intl.co.uk/itmurrayinternational/

Google Finance

This investment trusts invests widely in international securities, ranging from equities to fixed income and debt.

A bit of a dog.
The directors want a large dividend ie more a value investor but not 100%
Investment manager thinks the developed countries have to much sovereign debt and to much consumer debt. He thinks the amount of quantive easing is economic vandalism!
Hence he has invested heavily in emerging markets (particularly Asia) and has missed out on US, and growth etc.
Has been bottom of the table 1,5 and 10 years. Recently was top over 1 year. Trades between a 5% discount and 5% premium. Very large investment trust which results in wealth managers having it on there rader plus a large retail investor following.
Will we see a rotation into Emerging markets?. I can wait bought Very close to the bottom during the crash.
https://www.theaic.co.uk/aic/find-compare-investment-companies?sec=GGI&sortid=SPTR1Y&desc=true

PS ignoring Majedie which sooo shite

Held up well in this bear market. Only recently dropped below my 40% gain. Back above again. Top of its league over 1 year.

1 Like

Forging ahead over 1 year discount today (07/10/22) is 6.3% which is high. If you look at the link you can see discount and premium over 5 years. If you are using a tablet turn it sideways and you can see the 10 year figures. With the managers emphasis on emerging markets and in particular Asia, this is highly differentated strategy for an global income investment trust… Hopefully a winning one. Worth a look.

Really taking of now.
2nd bottom of the table 1,5,10 years. (Global equity income)
Now top over 1 year by quite some margin.

https://www.theaic.co.uk/aic/find-compare-investment-companies?sec=GGI&sortid=SPTR1Y&desc=true

2 Likes

Up 55% (share price) on this (bought march 2020) but still on a discount (based on end of trade yesterday). This is unusual for Murray as you can see below it regularly goes to 5% premium (click on 5 years. If on tablet turn it sideways and you can find 10 year (premium/discount)
You would assume with it’s recent performance that it would now be at a premium?
If the market continues its present climb it should go to 5% premium at which point the board will issue new shares. The exception to this is if it is close to an exdivided date. They don’t issue at this point to avoid the new shares being paid a dividend.

1 Like

This is one of my long term holds. Have to say I haven’t paid any attention to its price since I made my initial purchase a few years ago and I haven’t considered topping up, only because there are others I’ve been adding to instead. That discount is disappearing, perhaps I should have added to my investment!

1 Like

I would have done so myself bought 500 during the crash checked an hour later to find they had gone up 5%…the bottom of the market? buy buy got another 500. 1,000 shares is a large proportion of my portfolio. In fact in away i would have preferred they hadn’t risen so far as i wanted to put them in my isa in april with some legal and general. At this rate thats not going to be possible. Cant really complain to much!

1 Like

PS nait is another one which has suddenly shot to the top of its table. Small dividend made up for by decent share price return. All S AND P portfolio. Discount 8%. Rarely trades at par though.

https://us7.campaign-archive.com/?e=9d1e0cdb3a&u=b14aa38272aadab832385c381&id=6fe269f80e

Money makers podcast.
Bruce Stout main speaker

Mentions gearing 150 million with 10 and 15 year redemptions at 2.8%

1 Like

Monday 3 April 2023
image1x5

11:00-12:00

If you haven’t registered yet, please do so below to join us at the Murray International Trust PLC online presentation from 11:00 to 12:00 on Monday 3rd April. This event will take the form of a short introduction from the Chairman, David Hardie, followed by a more detailed presentation from the Managers, Bruce Stout and Martin Connaghan.

I boobed with this one…with the benefit of hindsight.
Sold a 1,000 in general account at the same time bought 500 in isa.
Share price completely unaffected by SVB and banking induced market falls. Actually slightly up over last month. Will try and rebuild in isa. Was going to hold as the equivalent of holding cash, to take advantage of short-term bargains. I could have used the other 500 to pick up some very silly falls in completely unrelated sectors.

Share split being suggested. I think there has to be a vote.
5 for 1

1 Like

Still holding well in a dodgy market. Might have the other 500 in my ISA. At least short term.

Bruce Stout thinks dividend will be more important in the future.
As opposed to capital gains.
Of course that will make higher paying dividend companies more valuable hence you will get capital gains as well, at least short term.

Still a long term hold for me, not really concerned about the capital gains.

Annoying freetrade

"Unfortunately, when a corporate action such as a stock split occurs, we’re not able to allocate a cost to the newly created shares. What this means in practice is that the average price per share and the gain/loss on the new shares will display incorrectly.

We’re sorry for any inconvenience caused by this.

The good news is that with time, our pricing provider will aim to get this corrected. We don’t have a timeframe on when this will happen, but rest assured, we’re aware of the issue and will feed this back to the appropriate teams to review."

Hardly the answer I would expect.
The problem as I have said is the amount of shares I own is the same as before share split.
This is not a problem with share price which is displaying correctly.
I have a 5 for 1 share split with the shares trading at 1 fifth, the right price but not the right amount of shares.
Tiring trying to get things like this sorted.

1 Like

Panic panic
Down £8,000 today?
Turns out to be Murray International
Either it’s made multiple bad investments or the share split has just taken place and it’s not showing up correctly. I am going for the latter?

Wrong order. This should be above the other.