Rio Tinto - RIO - Share Chat

Didn’t realise we were missing Rio Tinto!

Raising beer prices for Aussies? Sounds like a terrible move! :laughing:

:clap::clap::clap::grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

When I worked in Seismic surveying we used to get free beer every night, at that point I was probably drinking a touch more than is healthy :rofl:

Doesn’t seem wise!

1 Like

The saddest thing about this incident is that what Rio Tinto did was completely legal.

Rio Tinto are going to be at it again.

1 Like

I have Rio Tinto and BHP in my portfolio😄

2 Likes

Big pay out due

1 Like

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/exceptional-market-conditions-rio-tinto-061900320.html

Impressive report

2 Likes

Out now on YouTube!:tv:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

In this video I analyse Rio Tinto’s stock (LON:RIO) ($RIO) using fundamental analysis. Is Rio Tinto stock a buy?

I go through Rio Tinto’s business summary & sales breakdown to get an understanding of the business. After this, I go through my analysis checklist and then value Rio Tinto stock using the discounted free cashflow method.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Rio Tinto Stock Offers a 7.84% dividend yield and fantastic long-term growth. The company is very profitable, has a solid balance sheet and spits out a tonne of free cashflow. The shareholders of $RIO are benefitting from a monster dividend and share buybacks at reasonable prices.

Even with the risk associated with commodity stocks, I believe that Rio Tinto could make an interesting prospect for any value investor’s portfolio.

Head over to the link in my bio to watch it! Please also remember to like and comment, if it gave you some value!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

4 Likes

Looking forward to watching this. I know there was news of a GFG dispute settlement earlier on, but is there any other reasons for the dip so far today?

1 Like

I’ve been looking but I can’t see anything to explain it.

Don’t bother trying to understand price movements. News are usually made up after a move in the price to try to explain it even though there is no newsworthy explanation. Humans just can’t accept not knowing why something is happening, so they make up their own reasons.
Prices just move, you can’t forecast or understand short term movements. Save yourselves a lot of time and just ignore it :wink:

6 Likes

Thanks Seb - I’ll put it down to the joys of investing then haha.

This probably isn’t helping

China policy changes likely had huge effect on stock price.

The Chinese CCP announced in July 2021 that they will significantly reduce reliance on imported iron ore, and increase domestic iron ore mining supplies, and invest in Chinese owned overseas mining companies. RIO exported most of their Australian mined iron ore to China.

Their price also dropped because te ex-dic date on the 12th Aug 2021, but this doesn’t account for the significant drop even before the Ex-div date, and the further fall.

Et voila!

2 Likes

Another possibility is the mine strike and mismanagement in Mongolia reported below by Fool.com amongst other outlets:

https://www.msn.com/en-au/money/markets/why-the-rio-tinto-asxrio-share-price-plunged-6-today/ar-AANu4Qc

A positive note is RIO entered into a partnership to vaccinate their FIFO staff in WA, and the surrounding mine communities.

1 Like