Sea (SE) - Share Chat

I hope this is the right way to post a request for a new stock listing. I have a whole list but this is towards the top of my wish list for FT!

its available just not in the ISA wrapper - annoyingly

1 Like

Yes I found that out, but understand why now - its underlying stock is listed on an exchange not recognised by HMRC, so doesn’t qualify for tax-free investing.

That hasn’t stopped me from putting more funds BACK into my basic account since opening my ISA, simply in order to invest in this promising growth company.

Have you invested in them also, I might ask?

Thanks i didnt know that.

i havnt yet but i will do once i get paid as all my capital is tied into my ISA. i trying to work out the most efficient tax way to invest.

Missed the boat on them to gain from this huge bounce, but long term hold.

IMO focus on making profits first and then worry about taxes later. You’d rather have 80% of a lot than 100% of very little. But I can understand why you’d want to get that all in order of course.

In my honest estimation, you haven’t even missed the boat on this run of SE as far as I’m concerned but do NOT take my word for it. Research them a bit more and look into the EPS growth, balance sheets, new products and services and then make a judgement call.

As you say, definitely a long term hold, but I reckon there’s minimum 20% left to go on this short term run before it will trade sideways for a while again.

I’m still averaging up my position, so I started with £100 a month ago and added £20 twice per week. Just today I sold a position in BIDU in order to add another £100 to SE.

Hope this is informative for you. Good luck in your investing journey! :smile:

This seems to be an excellent growth stock

2 Likes

It’s among my best performers certainly.

I believe until recently I’ve seen it through rose tinted glasses however, and perhaps the majority of investors are doing the same? It’s relative outperformance of the general market is quite astonishing given its poor earnings track record.

The company seems to be almost haemorrhaging money each quarter and possibly only keeps going due to the backing of even larger corporations like Tencent.

The general consensus is that SE could become the ‘Amazon of South-East Asia’. However, SE Asia presents a lot of logistical and regulatory barriers that inhibit the growth of such a business - it is not as simple as cross border deliveries and transactions in say China, the US or Europe.

For that reason perhaps that is why it is the leader in the field, as there is a high barrier to entry. But investors seem to have an unnaturally high degree of confidence that its gamble on three separate lines of business under one umbrella company will pay off in the long term.

For my part though, I find it hard to suddenly disbelieve in the growth of this company and cut short my position so I will continue to hold and watch its progress since the future certainly holds great potential!

To maintain a higher margin of safety when investing in this company I would at least look for a pullback to the 50-day moving average line to open a position in SE. It’s chart seems to hold few opportunities like this however, so keep an eye on the overall market and look out for your chance if you decide to invest!

1 Like

It has been all quiet on this thread recently does anyone have any views on SE currently regarding its business performance and prospects? Thanks in advance

1 Like

Solid buy according to yahoo finance

2 Likes

I’ve always liked SE but I sold my position a few years ago as it was becoming ridiculously overvalued. It was one of the stocks that went ballistic during Covid but has since fallen off a cliff. It probably offers much more reasonable value nowadays but it is risky given that it operates in emerging markets.

I still have some exposure through PHI – an investment trust which focuses on Asia Pacific.

2 Likes

Thanks Andy

Thanks, i haven’t purchased previously, but yiur view kind of reinforces the impression I had of its past performance