Sirius Minerals šŸ‘¾ ā› - SXX

You cannot be Sirius!

8 Likes

Wow there are a lot of people that have been royally screwed on that LSE forum Ā£80k+ losses and people getting totally wiped out. Well I hope it is a lesson my fellow freetraders wonā€™t have to learn. Diversification is your friend, if you are going to invest in riskier stocks allocate a small amount of your capital to it.

There is still a chance they could turn things around although very slight

One of the directors, just brought some more shares.

2 Likes

Also worth diversifying communities and information you rely on.

Iā€™m certain most people didnā€™t really understand the financing structure from earlier this year.

@oliverinvesting itā€™s a good gesture but unfortunately thatā€™s a drop in the ocean.

1 Like

Itā€™s more a question of does he know something the rest of us donā€™tā€¦

Iā€™m still following it closely, itā€™s tempting to average down but I doubt Iā€™ll invest any more while Iā€™m down 75%; it will take a 350% gain before Iā€™m green again :joy:

1 Like

Probably just been caught out by the same heart over head conflict other people have. Because putting that much money in at this point just isnā€™t rational.

And heā€™s probably screwed either way; because if he is making a rational decision, if he is putting the money in because he knows something the rest of us donā€™t - wouldnā€™t that be inside trading?

Just over Ā£10kā€¦ I doubt thatā€™s gonna plug the hole though I guess kudos for his show of support.
I have nothing against anyone who is invested to the tune of Ā£150kā€¦so long as it wasnā€™t lock stock. Surely nobody would put their lifes saving and home on the line ??

I guess if itā€™s true that people have lost everything there is a valuable lesson here, especially to newcomers like myself. On the grand scheme of it I only have a tiny tiny slice of Sirius so I can afford the hit if it totally goes under though I do hope it gets rescued. I managed to get some extra shares at the low price which helped reduce the overall loss, I suspect thatā€™s what a lot of people were doing looking at the trades yesterday and today
Luckily for me I spent a lot of time reading, researching and learning before buying any stocks and Sirius only forms a smidge of total invested across all platforms.

But thatā€™s a fallacy, isnā€™t it? If youā€™ve invested Ā£100 at Ā£1 a share, and then invest a further Ā£100 at 10p a share, you may have reduced your loss per share, but your overall loss has still gone up from Ā£100 to Ā£200.

5 Likes

Yes but the prices are greatly different and itā€™s a gamble and risk I was willing to take as itā€™s peanuts. As I said, if it falls through then so be it.
I certainly wouldnt be doing that if I had Ā£10,000 invested and it fell to nothing. Iā€™d most likely ditch it and cut the losses as many have.
There are still plenty of buyers, buying big numbers too so I doubt everyone is ā€˜stupidā€™ as was suggested earlier, perhaps a blind strategy.

Yep I got burnt put a grand in so lost 600Ā£ this morn/yesterday

Yes, technically if he was trading on non-public information, it would be insider trading.

yep thats true

This.

Comments such as ā€œgreedyā€, ā€œidiotā€, and ā€œthey deserve itā€ donā€™t make this place look very welcoming. For anyone new to investing or someone wanting advice, reading this could put them off posting for fear of ridicule.

11 Likes

This I do very much agree with, especially if it is aimed towards someone. For instance ā€˜To invest all your available money into any single investment means you are stupidā€™ is correct but possibly we could do without it even though it is a salutory lesson for those reading it and new to investing. Whereas ā€˜OMG this guy, 75 years old, dumped his pension and life savings in on a hunchā€¦ lol what a moronā€™ā€¦ yeah we can for sure do without that.

2 Likes

I agree that there is no point calling people stupid or greedy. Iā€™ve also made some investing mistakes in my time, and I wish there was a forum like this when I started to ask all my beginner questions.

However Iā€™ve learned from my mistakes and the mistakes of others and I think this is a great opportunity to remind people of the following quote (I remind myself all the time)

ā€œThe investorā€™s chief problem and even his worst enemy is likely to be himself.ā€ B Graham

Greed,euphoria, panic, not doing appropriate research, trying to convince yourself you havenā€™t made a mistakeā€¦ all weapons the investor has to destroy him/herself. You should instead make your decisions on the state of the company, donā€™t take punts, follow your plan, have a plan! Iā€™m not saying there is only one way to invest, taking risks is fine and even some speculation but investing in a super risky company like SXX because it is only 1% of your portfolio is crazy to me! (and I have a high risk portfolio).

I hope people can learn from this as the main aim here is to become better investors and not gamblers.

What LSE forum?

It would seem that some people did in fact plough everything in. Very sad to read but the lesson here for others is to seek advice before investing if you arenā€™t sure.

1 Like
3 Likes

Knew this was a risky investment when I purchased a few shares. I only invested what I was willing to lose which was about a fiver (39 shares). Itā€™s a shame a lot of people didnā€™t diversify their investment.

:ballot_box: :hourglass_flowing_sand:

1 Like