Pod Point Group šŸ”Œ šŸš— - PODP

@Alex_B the discussion link in the PODP stock details doesnā€™t lead to this community page (it shows a page not found message when I click the banner in the iOS app)

2 Likes

Thanks for spotting @roygoode - this has now been fixed :+1:

4 Likes

Have I missed something today? The value has just plunged

1 Like

Noticed the same thing, looks like a big sell off in the morning and then it just trundled along. Maybe just taking profits,

Iā€™m not overly worried yet, as its still nicely up, but ipos are always a bit of a gamble.

In a nutshell it has tanked, the whole sector has taken a beating this week :boom: :martial_arts_uniform: :chart_with_downwards_trend::money_with_wings::money_with_wings:

1 Like

Should help the industry generally:
The Guardian: All new buildings in England to have electric car charge points from 2022.

5 Likes

Anybody know why itā€™s dropping today? Have I missed some news?

0.88% v 0.66% for the FTSE100?

This isnā€™t so much ā€˜droppingā€™ as much as it is just moving around. Over the next 6 - 12 months east mode will have been turned off and youā€™ll have to do your research and hold your nerve.

2 Likes

They should technically evolve into a strong company and they also have some pretty big owners in the form of EDF energy and Legal and General.

They hold the vast majority of the home charging network so you would think there should only be growth on the horizon :moneybag::chart_with_upwards_trend:

1 Like

Highly competitive field. No guarantees.

I can see why Pod point takes sense for EDF: they can sell more electricity. It is a lot harder for me to see a clear business case for other investors of this loss making business. It is also easy to see that EDF will have to compete with BP and Shell (for example). On the positive side for share holders Pod Point may end up being an acquisition target.

There are no guarantees in any market, but I agree with you on the point of them potentially being a future acquisition target @bitflip

1 Like

Iā€™m driving electric at the moment and get a few charging networks included in my hire for free - Instavolt, BP and Shell. The latter two are garbage.

Twice Iā€™ve pulled into BP and Shell stations near the motorway for a top only to have problems. One BP station had a row of about a dozen chargers which were very impressive and well lit however they werenā€™t actually owned or operated by BP! At a Shell location, this time at a services, they had ONE single electric car charger with 3 people already queuing for it.

I know the infrastructure doesnā€™t come overnight but it made me realise that BP and Shell are currently only paying lip service to EV charging and arenā€™t really throwing much effort into it at all.

I think thereā€™s still HUGE room for growth in EV charging networks and the current ā€˜dispensers of car fuelā€™ are asleep at the wheel.

@CashCow That may well be true. But on its own it doesnā€™t make the case that this particular company is a good investment.

We know that BP/Shell donā€™t have an extensive network yet. But that is a by and by - early days.

I am not promoting BP/Shell. I am merely stating that there little reason for me to believe the statement that Pod Point ā€œshould technically evolve into a strong companyā€. And I am recognising that this is a highly competitive, albeit nascent, market.

Well, thatā€™s just like your opinion man.

I mainly just wanted to gripe about my current experience of the incumbent car refuelling companies and also allude to the fact of how far behind they are, how the EV charging industry is still in its very early days and how maybe the giants will continue to snap up and acquire other EV charging companies. Perhaps PodPoint will be one of those.

On the other hand, PodPoint might end up like WebVan and other forgotten brands from the dot com bubble.

Yes I 100% agree that it is my opinion that is why I stated it. When it comes to investments I like to see a potential investment from a variety of angles.

I understand your opinion and as I said

From looking around (online) Podpoint donā€™t appear to be the most innovative of the available chargers out there. But saying that sometimes simple works best but overtime new innovation becomes the norm and they may be overtaken by a competitor.

The EV space is way to in its infancy to say which one (or few) will come out on top. (For transparency I donā€™t own an EV nor having a charging point at my home).

2 Likes

Anyone know why this is taking a plummet?

No idea at all. Iā€™ve not found anything when searching and the results are due out soon and I thought they were looking good. Looks to be recovering todayā€™s losses so hopefully next week it should be heading back up.

Iā€™m holding till the results come.

2 Likes

Because all ā€˜green energyā€™ and ā€˜electric carā€™ companies have been overpriced for sometimeā€¦

This is well overvalued