[Feature Request 🔧] Portfolio Tracker

In the context of us shipping Open Banking functionality this quarter, I wonder what you think of an integration like this:

10 Likes

Being able to easily export my transactions and holdings to excel will be amazing :grin:

Love a good spreadsheet and the use cases mentioned on the plaid website are great too

1 Like

I use Simply Wall Street, Webull, My Stocks Portfolio, my own spreadsheet, LSE and possible others. What would be really nice if everyone got together and agreed a common data structure for transactions with all applications having an import/export so portfolio data can easily be transported between systems to benefit from the different strengths of each without the need for manual entry into each platform.

4 Likes

Definitely agree with standardising how to import data. I’ve had to redo a few times when I’ve moved portfolios.

This would be a great solution for me.
I don’t feel that Freetrade should provide a full-blown portfolio tracker in the app (apart from providing the basic stats of course).
I’ve also noticed that some third party trackers link with the broker via Plaid. E.g. Wallmine links with Robinhood via Plaid.

3 Likes

It’s not mobile first. Excel is still very much a PC era baby so not seeing any relevance to FT

This would be amazing!

Excel is not free as far as I know, but API calls similar to Google Finance that can work with free apps such as Google Sheets or LibreOffice would be awesome. More hardcore users can then customise own dashboards if they want to get more out of the Freetrade experience. It’s similar to what trading, risk, etc folks use in Excel alongside their dedicated Bloomberg Terminal - but without the complicated plugin. Also, Python API(s) would be cool but that’s too exotic. Hoping that each call/“GET”/etc request per user doesn’t cost :freetrade: a lot in terms of AWS/GCP and other fees (Bloomberg puts a limit on those but it’s a $20k+ a year machine).

Most people I can imagine just want an app that just works.

For those that want a seamless in-app experience without the spreadsheets, a more useful dashboard in the app would be great too - simple looking at first with options to expand and customise by tapping on various options. Stake and Degiro have a lot of useful data that they show in a “good-enough” way in their web/native apps that :freetrade: can borrow for the main dash and “insights”.

1 Like

I’d rather it be able to link to other apps such as simply wall st or others mentioned and google sheets seems better for this sort of thing than excel which looks like you need a personal/family 365 subscription so even my work sub won’t work.

just the ability to export would suffice, even if it’s just to receive a weekly email export to save dev effort in the app, I’m getting bored of having to input data manually all the time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @Mani - did you finish your spreadsheet by any chance? Would love to give it a try if you wouldn’t mind sharing the template :sweat_smile:

You can actually use Microsoft office apps web version for free, without a a 365 subscription:

Hope this helps

PS: the above it is not an affiliate link

1 Like

Just been tinkering with the tracker. Added EPS P/E, Price change. Also now included Historic data.

Hey @Julian_Alany I’m having a few problems with it because I’m actually not that great with spreadsheets :sweat_smile:

I built it with a mixture of functions either looking to Google Finance or Yahoo Finance. The problem is, I have had to change the function/formula slightly for different stock types. I don’t know how to get around the problem either. Coincidentally, I started to use Simply Wallstreet which is a great platform that does everything I need.

I tell you what, I’ll share the spreadsheet by tomorrow, on Google Sheets, and leave an explanation as to how it works (and doesn’t!) and leave it to the spreadsheet wizards to evolve it to another level!!

:grin: :+1:

Since we’ve all been messing around with google sheets, I threw this together over the weekend.
It’s a simple set of sheets to allocate funds by percentage. (will calculate yearly yields too)

Main sheet is to split funds by type, then a sheet for each type to split funds across holdings.
(greyed out cells are auto populated, instructions on sheets)

supports whole or fractional shares (change with dropdown on main page)
The rows in each ETF planner sheet are arbitrary, purely for example.

feel free to use and abuse, any feedback is much appreciated!

as usual, this is not advice, capital at risk, you all know the drill.
Just trying to keep the open source dream alive :laughing:

(have never used google sheets before this, so it’s probably horiffically inefficient and wrong, but i had a good time :smiley: )

2 Likes

ATTENTION ALL SPREADSHEET WIZARDS!!!

Right
 firstly, my apologies for the delay in sharing this. Secondly, I never got around to finishing the spreadsheet after I discovered the Simply Wall St. platform.

I built the spreadsheet predominantly based on Google Finance formulas. I discovered a formula to pull dividend information from Yahoo Finance which you’ll see in the spreadsheet. It doesn’t quite work as well as I would’ve liked. You’ll notice the pricing formula is different in the row where I have a US stock in comparison to UK stocks (for example).

The spreadsheet is a bit clunky and it’s pretty obvious I’m a novice at this! I’ve taken it as far as I can. So, rather than holding onto this hoping I’ll find time to finish it
 I’ve shared this with those who are interested in taking it to another level and perhaps sharing it in this thread later on. I’m looking forward to seeing where people can take this!

Please open the link and ‘save a copy’ to have your very own version in Google Sheets. Good luck!!

Thanks and enjoy :grinning: :+1:

@Julian_Alany

8 Likes

Nice. You could add Dividend Data too so you can see upcoming payments using the “dividendData”, “dividendExDate” functions on the finkiAPI

2 Likes

This is great, thanks for sharing! I’ve now signed up. I can’t seem to find a couple of stocks though- Mediclinic and Smith DS?

Added in your API. for other users, you will need to add your API key on the config tab.
Many thanks finki

1 Like

Nice @Hydra_King
You can now use the “dividendExDate” type functions rather than those needing prefixing with “uk” or “us”. The new “dividendExDate”, “divdendPayDate” etc. functions are faster and more accurate.

3 Likes