Price check obsession

Thanks Liz. With all these belpful replies Iā€™m starting to feel reasonably normal.

I checked mine 15 times whilst reading this thread

5 Likes
4 Likes

Iā€™m so bad I even check them when the market has closedā€¦

9 Likes

How else are you supposed to learn? seeing what news and market conditions impact share prices live. It will get easier over time, when you have a clear vision of what you might do if the price drops, falls or moves sideways the need for regular checks wonā€™t seem so urgent.

1 Like

Before using Freetrade I only invested in index funds, and they update only once a day, which is quite nice. Some days I didnā€™t even check it.

But now I have individual shares I do check a lot more often, its not a good habitā€¦

You really know you have a problem when the prices seem to change after close :slight_smile:

The prices do change after close :slight_smile:

The problem gets bigger when you start checking the portfolio even when the market is closed :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™d love to be able to see after hours and pre market prices in FT.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s true. This can induce reactions that are not always good for long-term investment.

And feed the addiction? :smile:

3 Likes

I check on Google anyway. I find the whole thing fascinating - I absolutely love my new hobby. I do sometimes wonder if Iā€™m neglecting the kids and wife now though :grimacing:

2 Likes

I pity the folks who are checking for price movement over the weekend :cry:

4 Likes

and I thank you for your pity

8 Likes

We all need it. Im also guilty of checking my portfolio a gazillion times a day, especially on a weekend :selfie::see_no_evil: but what else can we do in these lockdown times :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Totally. Iā€™d also add that this forum is fantastic and one of the main reasons I come back regularly. Some absolutely brilliant info and the double baggers etf thread alone is completely invaluable.

3 Likes

It will generally get less bad over time, in my experience. When I started investing I was watching live candlestick graphs, then I realized on the timescale Iā€™m looking to hold for, daily fluctuations are something I shouldnā€™t really be paying attention to. Now I probably check 2-3x a week and spend more time looking for information about my investments and other potential investments.

3 Likes

I started on 1st Feb but iā€™m already down to maybe 5 times a day.

It does get a bit boring after a while so i wouldnā€™t sweat it. :slight_smile:

Chartsā€¦Now those are an obsessionā€¦Iā€™ve made about 10 charts since i started.