Revolut Trading šŸ¦…

Iā€™m curious why you are so keen to have your investment massively diluted by a VC, and why you think it will suddenly be easier to recruit engineers with a VC involved?

I donā€™t think Freetrade needs Ā£50M by the end of this year, and Iā€™m not sure I want that much dilution. If the VC is an EIS fund (as has been suggested in the other thread) they canā€™t invest that much anyway

Iā€™m curious why you are so keen to have your investment massively diluted by a VC

Donā€™t get that either certainly not the amounts being proposed. Theirā€™s VC and thereā€™s Private Equity. At that sort of money thats a large swathe at the current valuation if not nearly a full buyout???

Edit:If thereā€™s a good deal on debt sure take a bit of VC debt. Not looking for the such high dilutionā€¦ the extent which would be highly abnormal for a VC round

1 Like

Donā€™t really get why all the sudden pessimismā€¦ Did people only now realise that Freetrade would not be the only player in the market?

Letā€™s cut the team some slack, I donā€™t think that too many startups move at a faster pace.

I also think that after the Brexit shenanigans die out we will see some clear guidance on EU expansion.

12 Likes

Here Here. Itā€™s logical to wait until November 1st (or whenever) to make the decision on the expansion

1 Like

The way I see it is it will be diluted and multiply considerably or if Freetrade continue at such a slow pace my investment will be worth jack-s**t. I know they need to get the product right but not as slow as they are going itā€™s ridiculous. Just the other day 4 companies in the USA started offering free share dealing. If they keep goi g at this pace without a massive injection of funding alongside the knowledge and expertise that comes with that then Iā€™m afraid they will fail.

2 Likes

Markets are not for the emotional. All kinds of investments put your money at risk, letā€™s just learn to deal with it.

From another thread:

3 Likes

A couple of months ago Freetrade had a record breaking fundraising round on crowdcube, Itā€™s barely cleared their bank account and you are asking for our equity to be cut in half already. I donā€™t think the competition is coming as fast as you think. Robinhood has been around for years in the states and only now are the legacy brokers responding. They arenā€™t showing much signs of going Live over here in the next few months. Revolutā€™s offering sounds to me like a half assed feature for premium members only. Sounds like T212 is the nearest direct competitor at the moment. But there is room for more than one low cost stockbroker

Edit: Throwing money at it now wonā€™t necessarily get things done any faster

Also it seems to be recent investors who are complaining the most (going by the R5 next to your name and others) why did you invest a couple of months ago? did you check the business plans? and how much did you expect things to have changed by now?

9 Likes

Have a seat and take a deep breath. Are you not allowed to have an opinion on this forum without lots of angry people responding??? You donā€™t need to come across as the big ā€œI Amā€ because you were fortunate enough to invest earlier. I stand by what I feel and think. Is that ok?? I think Freetrade are doing an amazing job just very very slowly lol Thatā€™s my opinion OK???

Altria??? How long do you have to wait for the biggest companies in the USA to get onboard the Freetrade site. In my opinion that is a basic. Revolut is doing fractional shares and they only started a few weeks ago. They have over 7million customers since 2015 the same year Freetrade started??? Why is this?? With massive investment from who??? Yes VCā€™s I rest my case.

Iā€™m not angry, Sorry if it came across that way. I just donā€™t think throwing a huge amount of money at it now will make that much difference to the timeframe. And Iā€™m confident Adam and Victor know better than any of us if a VC is needed at this stage

1 Like

Sorry I thought you were a bit annoyed then. I just feel that the screw is tightening and the company are moving to slow. I know Adam and Viktor are good guys.

Unfair comparison, Revolut have raised $345M and valued at $1.70B in April 2018. Theyā€™re nearly a decacorn and are supposedly in talks with Softbank for a $500M round. Their first Seed Round was $4.91M so how do you expect FT to raise $50-60M on a Seed Round.
I agree with you Altria are a great company and Iā€™ve been buying them recently, I understand the frustration there. I canā€™t buy any :laughing:

Edit: This is FTā€™s bread and butter not some sideshow of the business

The only comparison I was making was that both companies started in 2015 and has took plenty of VC funding and is now a unicorn and the other one hasnā€™t and is going as slow as a week in jail. Just to clarify,Iā€™ve never been in prison lol

The Platform will be the Boom :boom: moment for Freetrade features, is that correct ?
Letā€™s just enjoy waving our sparklers until the Platform is ready and the fireworks are let off left right and centre :boom::boom::boom::boom::boom::boom::boom::boom::boom::boom::+1:t3:

4 Likes

Not long, actually. :slight_smile: Keep an eye on a list dropping on your favourite social channel (incl. this) soon. :santa:

Depends on the definition of starting, but for context, weā€™ve started the waitlist-controlled iOS-only beta on the 3rd Oct, and formally launched (removed the waitlist) in April this year.

7 Likes

Is this still a thing? I thought it was put on the back burner when the road map was updated a couple months ago

Itā€™s absolutely a thing.

Itā€™s not on the backburner, but the the roadmap focuses on the features and products that the Invest Platform will enable.

4 Likes

Here is a fabulous article on dilution Redefining dilution ā€“ TechCrunch

I understand some dilution isnā€™t always a bad thing, but Ā£50-60M is more than the current valuation. That much dilution would more than cut our equity in half, and I donā€™t think thereā€™s a case for doing that now, just after a successful crowdfunding raise

3 Likes