Robinhood Markets Inc - HOOD

Whatever wallstreet bets / Musk tell us

3 Likes

How do we buy shares in Freetrade?

Wait for a crowdfunding round.

Freetrade has stated multiple times that there will be a crowdfunding round in September this year… but they have gone awfully quiet lately so I wouldn’t expect that to happen…maybe at some point this year :+1:

3 Likes

Let’s hope we get going again soon :thinking::pray::fu:

Wth is happening :cry::cry:

The fad ended as it does with all meme stocks. It might very slowly climb up again long term if the company does well but the window for making a big short term profit has closed.

Realistically the opportunities to make big money in a short time from shares are incredibly rare and if you were expecting the kind of early growth seen from this one to last more than a few days before settling down again you really were deluding yourself.

1 Like

OK thanks, yes new to this obviously :roll_eyes: should have listened to myself at $70 and cashed in. Lesson well and truly learned :cry:

I bought in when it was at $35 and sold just after the peak at $65.

Put the profit into some slow but steady shares which is really how things like this are meant to work. It’s not about doubling your money in a week. It’s about growing it slowly over years because if you do it right the combined rate of growth of your shares will be better than you would get from putting the same amount of money in a bank account. Most savings accounts will return less than 1% each year so if you can stay ahead of that level of growth with your shares you are doing well.

But obviously shares are more of a gamble. They could suddenly skyrocket like if a company is about to be taken over in a high priced buyout like happened to Morrisons earlier this year. Or they could collapse entirely if a company or the wider economy performs below expectations. And like gambling you should never risk more than you are willing to lose.

3 Likes

Investing shouldn’t be like gambling - you invest what you don’t need in the short term, not what you are willing to lose.

4 Likes

That’s literally the same thing. The only difference is the risk/reward factors.

3 Likes

There’s always the element of gambling.

Its really just a question of degrees.

1 Like

No, monthly dollar cost averaging into ETFs for decades without selling has nothing to do with gambling. Which is also what most or all people should be doing. It’s very literally what our government forces us to do with private pension plans.
Is our government forcing us to gamble with minimum 5% of our monthly salary?..

4 Likes

Tell me the same thing after a depression.

Happily would have told you the same after the biggest financial crisis in 2008. Is buying a house gambling to you? Because I have news about houses and financial crisis’ for you…

The problem is that you don’t present or probably have any arguments for your position. You just have an opinion and stick with it, even though it has no argumentative or theoretical backbone.

1 Like

A depression, not a feeble, goverment propped recession where people don’t lose.

The only difference to the great depression was the government intervention. We just knew more about macroeconomics. But I can see that you’re not interested in an actual discussion with arguments, so we can end this here.

Sure.

If long term investing in solid companies or diverse ETFs is gambling then you could say every financial decision you ever make is a gamble, including holding onto cash

8 Likes

I would agree with the point that it’s all a gamble. People go all cash from time to time and the opposite as a way to mitigate risk/maximise reward. Owning anything of value is in itself a risk as there’s always the chance that someone will come and take it from you. Legally or not.

The only risk free investment one can make is in themselves.

2 Likes