đŸč Robinhood UK

Wow, so basically the whole waiting list is potentially a big lie, unless they reward those with the most referrals like I also suggested.

Yeah I’m not sure I’ll bother advertising them unless an actual referral scheme comes into play like a free share.

And yes the tapping the icon does improve your number on the front end which is ridiculous.

1 Like

Will use Robinhood for margin trading but will stick with Freetrade for long term investing

1 Like

Interesting articles out today!

Bloomberg: “The company says it makes most of its money from subscriptions to its Robinhood Gold service, as well as from rebates from market makers and stock loan income”

I.e. RH makes money from subscriptions, payment for order flow (not allowed in UK) and leverage. They’ll be supplying tools for trading and encouraging leverage, rather than tools for long term investing. This is why I’d choose Freetrade, it’s unique and customer first

TechCrunch, argues it could help other challengers:

“Freetrade was first out of the gate, and has since been joined by Revolut and Bux. However, arguably, regardless of Robinhood’s deep pockets, a rising tide could lift all boats in the neo broker space since these upstarts are trying to grow the market by introducing new, younger people to investing, not just stealing customers from incumbents that are charging higher fees”

12 Likes

How do they intend to get payment from order flow if it’s illegal here in the UK? Will they route their orders through the US and execute them there? If yes, how did they even get FCA authorisation to operate here?

That generates more questions: I assume (by assume I mean near certain) with most investment services here in the UK, if any disputes arise, they are going to be decided in UK courts, according to UK law, because the assets and the agreements are under UK law.

If they route their orders through the US, which jurisdiction are your assets under? If I have a legal feud with them, which court do I go to? Can the US seize my assets for any reason, since it’s in their jurisdiction and they do what they want with them?

Brokerages revenues mostly come from money that is not invested. Robinhood being demonized unnecessarily, of course they do have some issues.

They can’t do payment for order flow in the UK, they’ll have to adapt their business model in some way or they’ll just be less profitable in the UK than in the US

Seems these guys are jumping
 https://www.reddit.com/r/UKInvesting/comments/dyz515/robinhood_set_for_2020_uk_launch/

but having said that, FT are a British London based company, and I do like supporting my local startups. ETFs not on launch, hmmm

one thing I do love is the Level 2 data, and reporting
but L2 is only really decent if your buying a tone of stock. But it’s a good offering for sure.

1 Like

Sure.

Personally I’m OK I don’t mind payment for order flow, and wouldn’t matter for longterm investor anyway, similar to FX charges :wink:

This is another reason I probs won’t be touching RH, although I have signed up. I don’t like that a company built for helping millennials invest (when some don’t have any financial knowledge of savviness) trade on margin. Yes the exposure is more, but if it goes sideways it really goes sideways
and that will just increase the young debt. IMO.

It is going to be interesting on how would the big brokerages react to the news. In the US almost all the big brokerage firms removed their commissions, I doubt that HL and the rest are just going to keep charging ÂŁ10+ a trade.

1 Like

That’s an interesting point. What if the likes of IG / HL etc were to remove their Fees. Would people then move to the bigger more established brokers?

Id love to see the FT road map beyond 6 months and see what they are thinking about bringing to the table in the future, because if the bigger brokers do remove fees, the smaller brokers such as FT will need something super sticky id imagine.

1 Like

Lots of excitement about Robinhood but does anyone think they’ll be trading anytime soon in the UK given their bad PR over the past month? The FCA would be mad not to insist on significant safeguards before they can start onboarding customers.

1 Like

I don’t think they are offering options in the UK so I don’t think the whole Personal Risk Tolerance / Infinite Leverage stuff is going to be an issue here.

Robinhood will almost certainly do a free share referral scheme after launch. Don’t bother wasting your referrals just to go higher in a pointless queue. They have 6m in the US they can handle someone who is 20,000th in a queue

FT is very slow adding new ETFs. Emphasis seems to be on individual companies. Maybe RH will match/overtake their range of ETFs in a single update. I imagine this news will have increased urgency in Revolut dev teams too

What makes you think T212 and FT are different? They’re exactly the same except a couple feature differences, colour scheme and ETFs available

The default option is instant order still (ÂŁ1 fee). All companies try to make money somehow

Absolutely
there’s a 0.12% TIF where the similar ETF is 0.2% (SWDA).

2 Likes

JPG quoting Keynes! :scream:

It’s when you know you’re getting old. “I always voted labour so I still will / I’ve been with my bank for 30 years, not changing now”

A lot of people are saying that it’s great to see competition even freetrade! But this is not competition. In My eyes, Unfortunately Robinhood are miles ahead of freetrade and that’s the reason a lot of people are going to Jump ship when they arrive.
I love freetrade and want to stay loyal to them, but if they haven’t introduced fractional shares and many many more US stocks by the time robinhood come, then a lot of people have got important decisions to make including me. Cmon freetrade lets show robinhood that you can Match whatever they bring.

8 Likes

This is good for the new players like Freetrade. HL should be concerned.

3 Likes

Worth checking out the Freetrade Building a fintech platform with serverless video overall, but if you don’t want to sit through the whole video then look at 25:32 where they demo purchasing fractional shares, it then goes onto explain some of the other things coming soon from the new Investment Platform like quicker top-ups, more securities.

At the end of the video they announced that they have started migrating to the new platform which means we will more than likely be using the things we have been waiting for before Robinhood even starts on-boarding people in the UK.

14 Likes