Roboadvisors vs GIA/ISA

So…
Moneyfarm backed by Allianz
Wealthify backed by Aviva
Scalable Capital backed by Blackrock
strategic investors such as these are weighty because they can integrate. Aviva for example is offering Wealthify as an option to their existing customers.

As Freetrade grows, it would be validating to get such a strategic partner on board I think.

What kind of strategic partners would you like to see?

I don’t have a name, but one that is compatible with Freetrade would be encouraging.

Interesting, yet maybe unsurprising given the minimum requirements, that the average age of a Scalable Captal customer is :five::zero: years of age.

So about 1.6m to 2.8m per/year from fees given they have 400m AUM. I think this investment is based on potential and some of it will be because of Aviva + Wealthify.

I think FT is better off without a strategic partner. Strategic investor, that’s fine.

I view FT as a platform with the ability to not just be a next gen stock broker, but it can also be the infrastructure of investment houses or robo-advisors. By partnering with one of them too early on will pigeon-hole the company and will likely cause issues with signing up larger infrastructure wins.

A strategic partnership early on could perhaps help with distribution and customer acquisition. But long term, I think it’s actually more detrimental.

Just my two cents…

6 Likes

I agree with you, investors are one thing but partners can be something else entirely. It seems to make more sense for existing portfolio managers to want to work with the new robo advisors, but I don’t really see the same application for Freetrade as an independent stockbroker (especially in the early stages as you highlighted).

Definitely, it would be a sad sight to see if the principles & values of Freetrade were diluted by a legacy firm, the exact thing they were trying to combat.

1 Like

The B2B prospects are fascinating to consider.

All of these robo-advisors predominantly rely on legacy systems and partners for trade execution, asset custody, ISA management and KYC/AML (this is where a huge amount of their fees go, as they are effectively just a software layer on top of existing players like Winterflood Business Services).

Replace this infrastructure with Freetrade, and who knows? :thinking:

5 Likes

I used strategic investor and strategic partner synonymously. Care to hairsplit the difference? :face_with_monocle:

“Scalable Capital has attributed much of its growth to its partnerships with Siemens, BlackRock and ING.” Having a strategic investor doesn’t exclude having strategic partners. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Did a presentation on some Fintech companies today; 1) Equity Trading, 2) ETFs & 3) Roboadvisors. These spreadsheets were compiled before the recent updates on users and fund rounds mentioned above. However, it clearly shows why Roboadvisors are partnering with older more mature finance groups. They have just been unable to grow organically, as the other Equity Trading and ETF platforms.

It also shows the price everyone recently paid per user for Freetrade on the crowdfunding raise compared to the other companies. I believe we got it at a really good price! Very happy to be a part of this. Well done to @adam and co.

2 Likes

@freetrade_cal this is super interesting.

When I asked for a bit more drill down as per mikecc’s Crowdcube question on tresuary revenue I wanted to also ask 1) if the @freetrade_team thought DealStream has b2b revenue potential should income from treasury not meet immediate or medium term expectations, 2) if so is there a plan to exploit this?

I see DealStream as a signicant asset and core component in Freetrade’s value as the business currently stands.

2 Likes

Hi @Cgwinning thanks for pointing that out. However I didnt calculate valuation because I always feel its too much of a thumb-suck. Ill def change the valuation but my calculations are funding/users. gives a better idea of what you pay for per user for total cost raised. also I rounded the figures to millions as to the request of the investors. So the numbers might be a little out if you do the calcs yourself Hope that makes sense. :smiley:

1 Like

We definitely see the B2B potential in DealStream, and it has been designed so we can provide API access in the near future. In fact, we’ve already had some approaches about using our technology, so watch this space!

However priority is obviously to give you guys a great experience first, before we consider opening up to the B2B market.

5 Likes

@Rob thank you for the swift reply. This is really encouraging given the early stage you’re at, and that you guys have the foresight to recognise this opportunity when building the dealing platform.

2 Likes

Quick explanation, how efficiently have they spent their capital, since starting, in producing a active/new user. Comparatively, if its higher then its over spending. The less you can spend on marketing, building systems, wages etc, in monetising users, the better. The rest to me is purely thumb-suck. No point in trying to calculate the 14.5% equity if 80m is a guesstimate.

3 Likes

hey @Cgwinning no problem at all. and please, I really dont mind critising or debate, very healthy. I had exactly the same question today from one of the analysts. :slight_smile: atleast I can explain it correctly and it makes sense. :+1:

2 Likes

Hair split I shall! :blush:

In my opinion, a strategic partner is a potential competitor in the same field that take a minority or majority stake to maintain a competitive edge, improve distribution or gain insight into a new high growth subsector, and other business-related benefits. On the flip side, a strategic investor typically has no or little business interest in the field and tend to be non-financial companies (in the case or robo-advisors and FT). Examples include VCs and investors like Naspers, SoftBank, etc. Their only agenda is to see the business grow exponentially and provide capital and help open doors for the startup, making business introductions with little conflict of interest.

Great press statement from Scalable, but I’m pretty sure that if you peel back the layers, Siemens and ING have some affiliation with BlackRock. More likely is that BlackRock are the designated provider of pension solutions for employees of Siemens and ING, and therefore Scalable’s portfolios are one of many possible pension solutions in BlackRock’s suite.

What I can with near certainty guarantee you is that you will see no money coming in from Allianz, Aviva, or other insurance or asset management competitors.

6 Likes

Who marked this as a “solution”? :thinking::joy:

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: Forum Tutorials/Using Discobot

One of the community leads or yours truly, by accident. :sweat_smile: I removed it now.

It’s a pretty good solution to a lot of things though!!

3 Likes