Rolls-Royce Holdings ✈️ 🚘 (RR) - Share Chat

They were seized from foreign operators though? I assume they’ll have gaps in their fleets now that they’ll be looking to replace, meanwhile Russia will use them for internal domestic flights until they start falling apart.

Yes, but leased to Russian airlines. Why would the foreign operators replace these? They’d need to find other markets for these planes first since the Russian market is dead. And flying still isn’t out of the covid slump.
Also, these operator can’t just write off most of their planes and still stay solvent or even be able to order new planes. If you have 100 planes and someone just takes them all, you’re bankrupt, not ordering 100 replacements.

2 Likes

Ah, I thought Russia had seized aircraft that belonged (or were leased) to foreign airlines that happened to be in the country and on the ground when the airspace was closed. I didn’t realise they were only Russian operated airlines.

As for the leasing companies, I’d have hoped they’d have an insurance policy covering them for having their aircraft seized and would get the payout to buy replacements. Or perhaps seizure during wartime is on the list of policy exclusions!

1 Like

You’re right, the last part was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment. Insurance likely covers it. However, I doubt any of them will spend into a depressed aviation market in which they’ve just lost their main market.

2 Likes

https://www.cityam.com/lloyds-of-london-prepares-to-fight-over-picking-the-tab-up-for-10bn-russian-seized-planes/

2 Likes

What happened yesterday?! A 5% jump over the whole day, then lost it all in a minute and was back to its start of the day price.
I can’t seem to find any particular reason other than the “recession” flop etc but all my other stocks were dropping from start of business, so the RR jump was nice to see (thankfully i took out afew quid at 5% , probably the first time I’ve ever caught the top of a jump in price)

1 Like

Perhaps a sign to buy more stock

1 Like