Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust - SMT - Share Chat

Not challenging - just want to confirm - GFinance prices are live, not 15m delayed?

They’re usually accurate to the minute :slight_smile:
Just check the latest update time as you hover over the chart.

1 Like

SMT is having a bigger dip than the first COVID crash this time last year, taking an absolute beating. I’m holding cause its a solid trust but seeing these numbers is never enjoyable lol.

1 Like

I bought it late Jan so I see big red minus on my ISA… This year has not been too generous on my investments… But I guess it’s long term…

1 Like

Solid trust and is aiming for growth which is taking a bit of a beating due to the high inflation bond yields.

I am buying and holding 5 + years on this one. The trust has a nice growth focused portfolio and rather than investing and doing all the hard work myself, it’s nice to give that work to others sometimes.

7 Likes

https://citywire.co.uk/investment-trust-insider/news/scottish-mortgage-falls-20-from-peak-rdi-roars-on-bid/a1472536?re=82699&ea=1728656&utm_source=BulkEmail_Investment+Trust+Insider+Daily&utm_medium=BulkEmail_Investment+Trust+Insider+Daily&utm_campaign=BulkEmail_Investment+Trust+Insider+Daily

Also in one this one; new investor in janaury so bought at the peak. But going keep adding into this long term

1 Like

Welcome abroad :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Make sure you spread your money across a couple of other etf as well if you can. Just to be careful.

Yeah I have. I’ve currently got it across clean energy (which is about 20% down), msci china and the s&p 500

1 Like

I had no idea that the trust was investing that aggressively in TSLA / AMZN, always wondered what lead to the insane growth this trust has on its performance record.

Very interesting.

1 Like

Yep that’s the cause of their recent growth for sure. They also have a decent unlisted holding in hot names like SpaceX, Stripe, Wise, ByteDance and Ant. Recently They were shareholders in AirBnB, Palantir, Affirm etc before they IPO’d which again gave astronomical growth. That’s probably the most exciting part of this trust is the ability to indirectly hold the most promising companies in the world and not be limited by public markets.

It’s a high conviction portfolio and aggressive so its probably not for the feint hearted. It’s not one of those which wouldnt best the benchmark every year but there’s a strong chance it will heavily outperform in atleast one out of five years minimum

5 Likes

Good couple of days this week; hopefully the dip is over

It’s going to be a rocky road for the next few months. I’ve fastened my seatbelt.

The discount on Friday and yesterday was a whopping 6% compared to a short and long term average of at Par.

5 Likes

Does anyone have the link to the official Holding of SMT? I’m struggling to find it myself! Thanks!

https://www.bailliegifford.com/en/uk/individual-investors/funds/scottish-mortgage-investment-trust/#PerformancePortfolio

Just scroll a bit down and you can filter the holdings by ‘top 10’ or ‘all’

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

After nearly four decades at Baillie Gifford, James Anderson will retire from the Baillie Gifford partnership on 30 April 2022.

1 Like

Was bound to happen he is 63 and made zillions in his 40 years there.

Doesn’t change my conviction in this trust, I really like the team, and the culture of BG, they are the best in the industry.

In fact, if it dips, ill buy more

2 Likes

My ISA is all SMT. It’s got a long track record and I trust in them to keep outperforming over the long term.

3 Likes

Added another 10% to my holding in this mornings dip. This year growth stocks are meant to underperform, but I believe in them medium/long term

1 Like