Seedrs Highlights: USIO and NextUp

USIO - An AI driven energy company offering savings to customers by tailoring their energy purchasing to the consumers habits, leveraging new regulations that allow for buying half-hour chunks. Over Ā£4.5M annualised turn-over, solid reviews on TrustPilot from their existing customer-base. Pitch-deck claims break-even within 12 months.

Theyā€™re asking for Ā£400,003, in return for 8.18%. Seems like a very reasonable valuation for what they offer - but curious to hear input from others who might have more sector specific knowledge, which might lead to me increasing my stake.

Next up isā€¦ NextUpā€¦

This one I simply do not get, but having seen the spirited debate here relating to Netflix, perhaps someone can point out an angle Iā€™m missing.

On the surface, it just baffles me that this campaign has any legs at all. For anyone with an interest in the world of stand-up, you should know that ā€œthe Netflix of stand-upā€ is a ridiculous statement. Netflix is the Netflix of standup. It has a huge library of comedy specials, and has become the go-to place for virtually every comedian with a significant following.

Am I missing something? Is it just a case that the marketshare of Netflix isnā€™t so huge that there isnā€™t space for a speciality streaming platform with a narrower - but cheaper - offering?

6 Likes

Interesting picks you have there. Usi seems a bit odd as the ownership is too much concentrated with the CEO and yet most of the other members have 0.00%. Is that because they work for a base rate rather than a stake in the startup? But the price in comparison to the revenue is very-very tempting :thinking:

NextUp, on the other hand, seems less appealing. Having 1700 customers at Ā£3.50 only brings Ā£70k annual revenue, less all other associated costs. And that given they started in 2012 and launched the product 20 months ago (read: they had plenty of time to gain more customer).

@dan, if you do not mind me asking, do you use these two services yourself? If yes, how are they? I tried Usi but they said they cannot give me a quote at this time. Seems like I already got a nice deal :sweat_smile:

Also curious if you considered investing in them yourself. Thanks for an insightful post which I finally got some time to look at! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

NextUp is interesting, I donā€™t know much about streaming or comedy but you can sort of see how this could work.

As you mentioned, Netflix has a great catalogue of content already. But it doesnā€™t make sense for them to go deep in every genre because most of the content is only going to appeal to a niche audience & theyā€™re all about growing their subscriber numbers. So presumably thereā€™s an opportunity for NextUp to buy the remaining content, which would be relatively cheap since it doesnā€™t have mass market appeal.

Hopefully that means that they can build a decent catalogue of films, corner this market & then I assume that once their growth tops out (if they ever even reach profitability), theyā€™ll be bought by one of the larger streaming services.

If thatā€™s right then I wouldnā€™t have thought that this will make a good investment, if all youā€™re looking for is a return. But Iā€™m sure that plenty of their audience will invest anyway as a sort of passion project.

2 Likes

I love that Seedrs makes companies disclose this information. As an investor, I want to know how the team is incentivised. Iā€™m surprised that Iā€™m not seeing more comments about this in the Seedrs discussion board.

@adam recently shared how we think about equity for team members in this article :point_down:

5 Likes

I donā€™t use either at the moment. Iā€™m currently a bit of a nomad, so no need for an energy supplier, and NextUp is still a confusing proposition for me - as a Netflix subscriber who is very happy with their library.

Typically I only invest in companies that I use, or intend to use when they are available (e.g. Freetrade) so the investment in USIO is an exception. I may end up using it eventually, but for now this is an excuse for a small diversification.

Great point about the equity sharing, I might poke them about that in the investor questions and see what they have to say.

2 Likes

This is what I struggle with.

Netflix dropped $50M on the Dave Chapelle specials, even more on Seinfeldā€™s special and comedy series, not to mention Burr, Rock, Tucker, Dā€™Elia, Burnham, Seguraā€¦ Admittedly a very American selection of comics, but they do have all of the current greats - with a few Brits like Acaster sprinkled in. In terms of mainstream comics, they have it locked down - and have priced everyone else out of the market.

If Iā€™m a comedy fan, for sure Iā€™m going to have a Netflix subscription. How much of a die-hard fan of the genre do I have to be to want a NextUp subscription too?

2 Likes

Usio Energy have now ceased trading:

I can not access the USIO campaign page, possibly because I did not invest in the campaign.

Anyway did USIO get all their funding? Does anyone know what the official reason for shutting down is?

Looks like they didnā€™t get the funding because there was a threat of a damaging claim that USIO said was without merit but it meant they could not accept the the funding until it was resolved - Source

2 Likes

https://www.crowdcube.com/companies/nextup-comedy/pitches/qnvoBq
its back on CC with valuation increase from 2 M to 3.6 M .

Received below email from nextup .If anyone intrested ,read below .

Hi --------

I hope youā€™re keeping well.

I wanted to update you on some exciting news at NextUp, and make a small requestā€¦

(drum roll pleaseā€¦)

Weā€™re putting on a virtual comedy festival throughout this July with some of the biggest and best names in stand-up. Weā€™re aiming to reach nationwide press and give the public a heavy dose of some much needed comedy, with 20,000+ audience members and a lot more social media eyes. Itā€™s going to be amazing and Iā€™ll keep you up to date on all the details as they emerge.

As youā€™re in our closed network, I have a specific related ask:
Weā€™re looking for a headline festival sponsor.

If you know any brands that might want to be involved and reach 1m+ people, please introduce Chloe our partnerships manager who is on chloe@nextupcomedy.com.

Time is fairly short, if you do have any connections - I would be really appreciative of any intros by the end of Monday.

Many thanks, and have a nice evening,

Daniel Berg

• CEO, NextUp

NextUp Update - Q2 2020.pdf (208.4 KB)
Next up is planning another raise with crowdcube.