Seeing Market Activity

My questions might be useful to people trading rather than investing. But I was thinking about looking at how share prices move based on news and events. Iā€™m aware that itā€™s peopleā€™s reaction to the news rather than the news. So:

1. How do you see actual trades that have occurred recently? I know so many trades occur that itā€™s not really a useful metric but I like seeing when somebody buys/sells a really big amount. Iā€™ve found websites like lse.co.uk which have a section showing recent trades for a stock. But itā€™s only maybe showing the last 10/15 trades. Iā€™d like to be able to pick a period of time and see the trades that occured. London Stock Exhange website also shows a couple of trades but doesnā€™t seem to show whether they were buy or sell to my uneducated eye. I presume there is a better way to see this?

2. How is it possible to see out of hours trading? From what Iā€™ve read on this forum trading can occur out of hours. And overnight trading will affect the price once the market opens? So how can you see if there has been a lot of buying or selling out of hours?

3. I read somewhere recently that Tesla is the highest shorted stock at the moment. How do you see if people are holding long or short positions in a particular stock? Surely this goes some way to showing sentiment?

2 Likes
  1. Use a service like Tradingview.com. It is FOC (at least at basic level). There are other similar services available but Tradingview is the one I know and am currently using. Note donā€™t go to FXCM.com!!! (they come up at the top if you use Google search).
    Youā€™re just starting your journey into analysing stocks and markets. I am myself only a few weeks ahead of you ā€¦ Be prepared to do some learning. I am finding it useful looking at youtube videos from the likes of ā€˜Conquer Trading & Investingā€™.

2. Out-of-hours trading is not available to anyone but members (brokers) of that particular stock exchange. You wonā€™t be able to see it.

3. There is a UK register of shorted companies https://shorttracker.co.uk/ but it only applies to UK traded stock so will not feature TSLA. I donā€™t know if the U.S. regulators make this requirement for U.S. markets. Once again, you may be able to derive some of this info from a service like Tradingview.

Hope this helps.

3 Likes

Thank you @Plutyre47. Really helpful!

1 Like

Actually Iā€™ve just been doing some searching around, and https://www.marketwatch.com/ seems to offer an out-of-hours screener. I donā€™t know how comprehensive it is or whether it will be only US stocks.
From the home page, go to the ā€˜marketsā€™ tab, and then the ā€˜research and toolsā€™ menu below the header. Fourth option down is ā€˜aftermarket screenerā€™.

Good luck!

1 Like