Seraphim Space Investment Trust šŸš€šŸ›° - SSIT

I wouldnā€™t worry too much about daily movements

3 Likes

Opening today with Itā€™s biggest dip ever and has now wiped out over a weeks worth of gains in just over 2 days. And itā€™s swings are growing increasingly erratic.

Seriously considering pulling out.

LOL

Go on then buddy, your call.

Take it your a reasonably new investor?

1 Like

No, just a cautious one who has made a reasonable profit on this stock but isnā€™t fully convinced of its long term potential.

Sure, it could go huge but itā€™s a relatively new and unproven sector which could still go either way in terms of long term profitability.

Ultimately it comes down to how much faith the major player investors have in it and the more erratic it grows the more of a risk for them it becomes.

Most stocks have dropped on opening this morningā€¦ More buying opportunities :slight_smile: :grinning:

Yeah at first I was comfortable that it was just part of a general market downturn but when an stock drops at a quicker rate than it has ever risen for a few consecutive days it raises serious questions about its ability to weather market forces and recover from downturns.

The stock only went live on July 14. When it hit 131p it would have probably incited profit taking as it was sitting 28% up after less than 2.5 months.

I personally took a little profit at circ 20% to free up some cash for another stockā€¦ How stupid am I !

Currently holding 1800 shares at a 20% gain. Iā€™m holding long term and plan to buy the dips.

If your feeling uncomfortable maybe trim it down to a level your happier to risk.

Good luck.

1 Like

Yeah Iā€™m thinking my money would be better off elsewhere at least until this slump ends.

Realistically based on the previous rate of growth itā€™s not going to shoot back up overnight so we should get plenty of warning to get back on board before it surpasses itā€™s current price again.

I started buying in at 110, this is more of a speculative long term hold so I am not worried about small bumps in the road like the last couple of days. in if fact I have got a few more today.

1 Like

The best trade you can make is often not to trade. This chimp typing got nervous and sold Amazon in March 2020 only to buy back in a few weeks later 10% worse off.

If you did research into this trust before you clicked by just tenner what you liked about it then and close the app. Investing is not about emotion itā€™s about clam measure decisions that sometimes take years to come off.

4 Likes

Some times you just need to look at the chart, zoom out and see the bigger picture.

13p increase this month.

3 Likes

Not sure why anyone would invest in Space without a view of holding it for 10Y plus

5 Likes

Because realistically any space company is more likely to have gone bust in 10 years than it is to have shown any huge growth.

Space is probably the most risky market to make long term investments in right now because nobody has figured out how to make a profit from it.

For casual investors the appeal of this stock was that it was that it was provoding a slow but steady growth on their investment ahead of what they would see from putting it in a savings account. Any dips were short so it seemed a safe short term bet to hold their money in.

Now that itā€™s seen its first period of consecutive losses and its swings seem to be becoming erratic a lot of those casuals will start getting nervous which has the potential to destabilise the value further.

1 Like

Nothing you just said is factual or makes much sense.

MSCI world has more swings in the past weeks than Seraphim Space. Also a worse performance. This means the market is largely responsible for swings, ergo systematic risk and not unsystematic risk of this fundā€™s holdings.

Short-term investing is not a thing, you shouldnā€™t park money in stocks.
I could go on and on here, but please read up on quantitative finance books or at least some popular finance books like a random walk down wall street before making confident comments and predictions that have no foundation. :smiley:

3 Likes

Absolute nonsense.

Firstly I said ā€œbecoming erraticā€. Itā€™s swings have been growing bigger by the day. Thatā€™s a worrying pattern when it comes to indications of long term stability.

And yes short term investing is absolutely a thing. Increasingly so with the rise of apps like Freetrade and Robinhood. A huge number of the people using such apps are doing so for memestocks or as a means to grow their savings at a faster rate than they would get from a bank whether its over 1 year, 10 years or 50+ years. There are plenty of people out there with a little bit of spare money to invest who are more than happy to if they make Ā£100 profit a year from a circa Ā£2k investment because its better than the pennies they would get from the bank. Those are increasingly the people buying stocks like this.

You may not think it is the ā€œwrongā€ way to go about investing but like it or not thats the way things are going. Itā€™s no longer just about how much faith you have in a company, itā€™s about how much trust you have in a groups of strangers who largely havenā€™t read any of the books you mention or have any real knowledge or interest in trading beyond seeing how their own balance goes up and down.

I donā€™t claim to be a investment guru. I do OK for myself. But I know that new unproven industries (as space is) are a huge gamble and I have very little faith in the average public investors to hold out for long term gains. You and I may be able to recognise a general market trend but the average investor increasingly does not. And given their increasingly large influence on the market when they start bailing out it can destabilise the value of any stock.

Itā€™s a whole new type of market thatā€™s growing out there and soon it will be time to tear up all the finance books you speak of.

2 Likes

Itā€™s currently down around 4p in a week Iā€™m not seeing all these erratic swings you are. If you want erratic swings buy some darktrace thatā€™s a much more exciting ride.

3 Likes

Does anyone actually know the latest NAV? I canā€™t see one anywhere?

I Donā€™t think theyā€™ve released one since launch. Looks like ARQIT has finally landed after a stellar take off. Really hard to determine a fair price on SSIT at the moment

Itā€™s quite a small company at ~200M mkt cap. The ā€œswingsā€ make little difference in the long term. They only matter in the short term if youā€™re trading in and out regularly which wouldnā€™t make any sense as this is an investment trust.
I also donā€™t think this can be described as slow and steady with a 3 month track record.

1 Like

Why are all transactions being rejected at 8.55am?

Looks to be a fairly low liquidity stock, try breaking your transaction into smaller amounts.