Series B announcement MEGATHREAD

Series B is for VCs only. It has been closed and announced now.

Crowdfunding round to be announced. Likely in late Spring or early Summer

2 Likes

Oh right. That makes sense. Thank you!

1 Like

No advice intended here, but withdrawing funds from a non-flexible ISA is a very bad idea.

2 Likes

From the beginning Freetrade team have been very engaged with their customers and creating a community. Itā€™s a super good platform for those starting out in investing but also more seasoned investors who want an alternative to Hargreaves for ISAs etc.

There are many circumstances where it makes sense to withdraw from an ISA, not everyone is maxing the contributions every year.

The value of the tax sheltering is very different for different people.

10 Likes

Potentially yes, but If youā€™re investing it in shares within an EIS wrapper it could be rationalised as just moving your cash from one tax shelter to another.

3 Likes

I feel like this thread is getting a bit silly.

Yes FT has done well and some investor will have made a nice return.

But donā€™t put all eggs in one basket. And donā€™t put more than 5% of your net worth in any one company.

4 Likes

It tends to be good advice. Diversification is good at preserving wealth. However, Adam didnā€™t get rich by selling 95% of his ft shares and diversifying into various stocks.

Warren buffet does not believe in diversification either. He had a huge amount in apple.

For me, itā€™s risk and reward. I make a big distinction between putting in a lot of money into freetrade the company than a meme stock pumped on reddit.

I put a lot of money into freetrade because I believed in Adam and the team and he has I believe done his best to protect shareholders with hands tied behind his back and feet in cement.

Iā€™m holding my shares as I believe there is a lot of bags left. I think freetrade is worth around 500million and still see an easy 10x here over a few years and then Iā€™ll look to take some off the table.

10 Likes

Youā€™ve totally misunderstood my advice but itā€™s always the case on these forums, everyone thinks they know best rather than listening to different perspectives.

For MOST people putting more than 5% into any one company is a bad idea. Of course if itā€™s equity in your own company thatā€™s somewhat different.

I believe FT will be a multi billion pound company and I will not sell but I invested no more than 2% or my net worth at the time when I invested.

Now the invest is growing I will not sell as itā€™s a sunk cost - the 2% of my net worth I invested Iā€™ll forget about for ten years or so.

But for those whose portfolio is only say Ā£5k putting Ā£1k into a private investment into one company is not really a good idea in terms of portfolio management.

I understand everyone seems to think these days that multi baggers is pretty normal but everyone should learn the principles of portfolio and risk management.

Being very concentrated is great until things turn against you - look at various FCA warnings recently that young people in particular are investing in volatile investments. There is a piece in the FT today on this topic.

6 Likes

With all the respect, you can ā€˜t compare WB whtih Adam or another startupper. Since the beginning WB hasnā€™t invested in start up, but COKE MCDONALDS etc.

Agree with the other part of the post, less diversification = more risk = more gain/loss and viceversa.

ps Adam is better for sure :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

No I donā€™t think Iā€™m misunderstanding you.

However, it isnā€™t just Adamā€™s company. Itā€™s my company. FT means a lot to me and I own 0.000001%. Adam might own 20% and 99% of his portfolio. It might make 25% or whatever of mine but its my company too.

14 Likes

Cant believe how many people have put Ben down for his point of view.
IMHO people who have never worked with VCā€™s.

VCā€™s are very straight forward people.
You tell them where you are.
You demonstrate where you expect to be in X years time.
You justify your need to use their money.
You offer them an incentive, through interest, buyback, shareholding (theyā€™ll ask for double)

But the most important thing you offer a VC is security and an EXIT ROUTE.

VCā€™s need to know that thereā€™s a plan to get their money back at some point and their investments generally lack liquidity. Unless there are other VCs, investors, management buyout, floatation etc they have very few routes out of the business.

6 Likes

Hello

Mad question, but we as shareholders have until Thursday 1st April to say if we wish to sell all or part of our existing shareholding. Does anyone know the timeframe of signing paperwork and bank transfer of funds being fulfilled??

Yes, I am one of the people selling my shares as I have close to 10K shares and an opportunity has arisen for me that I cannot pass.

So, if anyone can help on the question it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Firewraak

3 Likes

Hey @FireWraak

The deadline is 31st March 2021 at 5pm (BST). If you are going to sell then best to complete the form they provided before then. No timeline has been provided beyond that.

Best of luck with your next venture.

Thank you and tbh, yes some might call me foolish with FT being only a few years from a possible IPO but I also gave my Monzo to fall back on for an IPO. So, Iā€™m going to put my FT share money to very good use in the meantime.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if , even though you opted to sell in the initial email sent out, you are able to reconsider? Iā€™m not sure itā€™s a good idea to sell at this point in time. Especially after reading the considered comments in this thread

1 Like

Just donā€™t sign them over. Youā€™ve not agreed to anything other than expressed interest in selling.

1 Like

Thanks thatā€™s what I was hoping

I take all comments in this thread, either written by my hand and fist or written by others, as personal opinions, hence not to be taken as investment advice, nor deliberately intended to influence in any way.

This post for example

is a clear exaggeration, with the sole purpose of stating that my shares are not for sale at this moment in time. I donā€™t think Freetrade can be valued at Ā£50 per share atm, nor I believe someone would pay that today for itā€™s unreasonable. In a few years who knows. The number 50 is completely arbitrary by chance and has no real nor intended meaning. It was just the first number my fingers thought of.

Iā€™m holding because I think the shares are grossly mispriced. I think they are worth considerably more now, and I also think thereā€™s room for high growth. Good on the VCs that invested before the January avalanche.

Also, in a few months a crowdfunding round will likely take place. I think itā€™s reasonable to expect the mispricing to erode by then.

You do what you think itā€™s best for you. Regardless of what others may think or do.

I try to do what I think itā€™s best for me. Regardless of what others may think or do.

Not investment advice. DYOR

2 Likes

Just imagine FT valuation when the Robinhood IPO occurs later this year minimum valuation Ā£10 billion and Robinhood are only 3 years older than FTā€¦ happy days .